changing alternator belt on a 1976 3.0l OMC Stringer

wkw

Recruit
Hello,
I've enjoyed reading posts for some time now and am in need of some help myself.

I need help in figuring out how to install a new alt belt on my motor.

Thanks in advance.
Ken

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: changing alternator belt on a 1976 3.0l OMC Stringer

if you have selectrim, you can just use the selectrim to raise the front of the motor. then get a stack of cut 2x4 lumber or anything like that to support the motor. Lower it gently onto the support to hold the weight (do not power it down though) while you remove the front mount on the one side to slip the belt through. Some people tie a second new belt in with tie wraps as a spare.

if no selectrim- same deal just need to use a long bar or something to lift the front of the engine to put the wood in there.

wkw

Recruit

Thanks Howard. Is there somewhere I can look at a photo of the belt on the engine? Something seems different on my boat as it seems the mount, i believe it is the mount,or a part of it, actually sits inside the installed belt. Does that make any sense to you?
Thanks
Ken

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

the mount,or a part of it, actually sits inside the installed belt. Does that make any sense to you?
remove the front mount on the one side to slip the belt through.
yep, remove these bolts
mountbolts.jpg

the engine will fall down if you don't support it

you didn't say if you have selectrim or not, but regardless, the process is the same

different brand, but same idea here too:
attachment.php

wkw

Recruit

Thanks Howard. I guess I have Selectrim as my setup is identical to the first photo you displayed with the blue coloured mount. When the 2 bolts that you identified are removed in which direction do you move the mount to create the access space? Is it straight ahead, towards the bow or does it somehow pivot?

I appreciate your patience in helping me through this.

Ken

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

towards the bow - you can loosen the bolts on the other side too if necessary