omc 235 sterndrive

gfox333

Recruit
I need help! Recently purchased 1975 cobalt dv19. Made some minor repairs. Took the boat out for a test run up and down the lake, and everything was fine. Went back out a few hours later, again everything was good, then all of a sudden something breaks in the outdrive. It now appears that something give between the engine and the ballgear driveshaft. I'm told there is a coupler there. I own a factory omc service manual, but can't find it mentioned anywhere. I've looked at all the parts diagrams too, and can't find it there either. Any info would help. thanks

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: omc 235 sterndrive

between the engine and the ballgear driveshaft. I'm told there is a coupler there.
I've looked at all the parts diagrams too, and can't find it there either.
it will be shown with the main "crankcase group" - it's shown at the rear of the engine crankshaft part 34 in the pic
0908680 COUPLING,Driveshaft

gfox333

Recruit

Found it! Thanks Still baffles me there is no mention of removal- replacement in the manual. The manual for a 1975 235 does say you can remove the intermediate housing without removing the engine. I assume that is what needs to be done to change the coupler. Correct? Thanks

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

you have to remove the engine
the coupler comes off when you remove the engine flywheel

whether you separate the engine from the intermediate to remove it, or remove the engine/intermediate as a package and then separate them on the floor is a matter of personal preference, mainly due to access in the hull
it's easier to pull the intermediate out with the motor on some boats