OMC Cobra Ford 2.3 U-joint bellows

wpgcapri

Cadet
Hi all:

Just bought a 1987 Bayliner with Ford 2.3 and Cobra stern drive. I was messing around trying to fix the trim gauge when I noticed milky oil oozing from a crack in the u-joint bellows. Did a bit of reading and I want to tackle it myself, but have a few questions:

1. What damage can I expect from the oil/water mixture? I know its bad news in an engine, but unsure if it means bearing damage in an outdrive.
2. What other parts should I consider replacing while I'm "in the neighborhood"? Exhaust bellows? Water tube? ...?
3. From what I've read, I need to remove the drive to replace the bellows (unless there is a split boot available like the ones on auto CV joints ??) How crucial is the alignment tool for re-installing the drive? Couldn't I just mark where the drive mates to the transom and put it back in the same spot? Or can someone tell me where to get the alignment tool, and cost?

My dealer has the parts and would charge about $600 for the job, assuming there's nothing else wrong.

Any help much appreciated!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Cobra Ford 2.3 U-joint bellows

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

milky oil oozing from a crack in the u-joint bellows.

Well you have 2 problems. An oil leak and a bellows leak. Both need to be fixed.

A complete transom service kit would fix the bellows if that's the only thing wrong but you also have a leak and water intrusion into the drive bellows area.

assuming there's nothing else wrong.

That could also include needing U-joints, yoke, and gimbal bearing (included in complete transom service kits)

The drive will need to be removed and pressure/vacuum checked to determine what else (if any) might be leaking besides the upper seal.

While it's off, the alignment should be checked. (that's a yearly thing anyway)

It doesn't sound like this boat has had a lot of regular maintenance.....

If there's more, it could easily exceed $1000. You'll have to decide if the boat is worth that much or more.....

Good luck,

Rick

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

1) You need to remove your drive, drain the oil and pressure test it to find any leaks.
2) Alignment tools can be found on ebay for $60. You need to do this annually. Especially important on a bayliner with not the best stringers in the world.
3) no split boot available. Replacing bellows is not very hard.
4) If your boot was split, count on also replacing u-joints and the gimbal bearing at minimum.
5) When refilling the drive, you need to fill from the middle plug. Do not fill like a Mercruiser from the bottom.

Do yourself a huge favor and get an OMC factory manual. Do not get an aftermarket manual like a Seloc or Clymer.

wpgcapri

Cadet

Thanks for the help guys - looks like I've got a bit more homework to do. jpwilly posted a link to the factory manual which has already been a great help.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the help guys - looks like I've got a bit more homework to do. jpwilly posted a link to the factory manual which has already been a great help.
The link he posted is not for a factory manual. That is the Seloc.