Cobra 5.0 OMC replacing exhaust bellows

ljcooljc

Recruit
so a few weeks ago overheated. did a full service fluids impeller the whole nine. i was informed that the exhaust bellows may need to be replaced (said they were tightened but still may leak) put the boat in the water sure enough they leaked. the were really brittle so i figured replace all 4.

now my problem...took them off and have the new "exhaust hose" now i cant seem to get them back on. i can get the top ones on but the bottom half wont budge... is there a trick to this???
i am very mechanically inclined when it comes to cars trucks ect. boat is a learning curve.

i dont like that something that seemed so simple is whooping me

tips???

cr2k

Captain
Re: Cobra 5.0 OMC replacing exhaust bellows

Not sure you know what you are asking. The lower bellows is exhaust and has holes in it to drain water. The Big bellows is the drive bellows and needs to be sealed tight. There is a shift bellows but not sure what you mean by a 4th one?

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cobra 5.0 OMC replacing exhaust bellows

the exhaust bellows he's talking about are the exhaust pipe to adapter hoses..

so which ever ones you are removing , just make a slice down them and remove them.

before you put them on, clean up the connections, on the down spout of the exhaust elbow, and adapter and the top of the Y pipe
I like to use Scotch Brite Pads ( brown ) I like to paint the adapter to clean up the surface too..

when you goto put them on.. spray some WD40 or light lube on the inside, they'll slide on like super easy.. do the bottom one first, and slide it down.

then put the TOP hose/bellows on the adapter FIRST makeing sure its seated .. spray with WD40 inside then put into position
you might have to turn it on like a typical hose connection, but WD40 makes it easier..

Some like to stagger the clamps a little.. I use a SMALL 1/4" drive rachet and a short extension instead of a screwdriver.. tightens quicker..