OMC Cobra Shift Adjustment Remote control cable and bellcrank issue

NeedaBiggerBoat

Seaman Apprentice
1988 OMC Cobra 350 5.7 Chevy

I have adjusted the part that goes to the engine and the bell crank is at 90*. I am using the tool to adjust it, my concern is after I hooked it up and the shifter is in neutral the bell crank wont allow me to slide the tool on that tells me its at 90*.

I was wondering if it would be safe to put the drive back on at this point and adjust the remote control cable?

I do not want to have to take the drive back off and get new gaskets and stuff because I did something wrong.

This is my first boat and am itching to take it out in the water.

OMC ROOKIE

Recruit
Re: OMC Cobra Shift Adjustment Remote control cable and bellcrank issue

Take the drive back off. Your shift rod is
not measured right. Find the adjustment on hastings

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: OMC Cobra Shift Adjustment Remote control cable and bellcrank issue

I think I am following you.. the drive is still off correct? You used the tools to set both dimensions? You took the tools off... moved the shifter around, put it back in neutral on the shifter, and the bellcrank is no longer at 90 degrees.. so the tool won't go back on?

If that is the case, your barrel trunion is not set at the proper distance... most people try and do this without removing all the cables... ALL THE CABLES NEED TO BE REMOVED BEFORE YOU START ADJUSTMENTS

Remove all the cables from their attachment points..
Put the cable length tool on the engine side of the shift cable
Put the bellcrank tool on the drive side
then follow the instructions for tightening up the shift actuator

remove the tools - they will not need to be put back on.. you can set them aside ( make sure not to try and move the shifter while bellcrank tool is on, it will wreck stuff)

The barrel trunnion needs to be set at 6 1/2 inches from the center of the pin hole on the engine side of the shift cable

Follow the instructions available below for exact way to set the shift and shifter cables - if you go step by step... no problems!

http://midnight-wolf.com/OMC_Install_Instructions.html