4 wire alternator

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4 wire alternator

Here is the wiring for that type alternator.

Untitled6.jpg

camparks

Recruit
Re: 4 wire alternator

I have searched and searched, but I can't find it addressed anywhere what is to be done with the other two wires. Does anyone know how to address the wires removed from the 'A.C.' and 'IND' terminals off a Prestolite/Motorla 4-wire alternator?

I have the wiring diagram and attempted to trace them. The Purple w/White wire from the A.C. terminal goes to the electronic choke - no problem there I will just work in a relay somewhere to switch it with the ignition. The Green wire appears to go to the Fuel Pump - here is gets tricky. I am pretty sure that the pump did not run until the engine cranked or was running since it was attached to the alternator on a diode - also a reason why OMC put a anti-siphon fuel barb on the tank preventing backflow to keep fuel right up at the pump. As far as I can remember, I never heard the pump run when the key was turned to 'on'. I assume this is to keep the carb from flooding?

Could someone verify this for me? If this is the case, what would a suggestion be to replicate this condition(no power to the pump unless cranking/running)? The old alternator completely bit the dust, so I don't have it to test and to verify that there was no voltage to the pump until the alternator started spinning during cranking and running. It has been replaced with a Delco 10SI 3-wire.

Wire Diagram.jpg