1994 Four Winns Cobra 5.8L V8 - Blown Head Gasket

mmahalak

Recruit
When winterizing last Fall, oil was milky. Mechanic said head gasket was blown. I would like to do the work myself. How can I confirm and where can I get instructions for this job?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1994 Four Winns Cobra 5.8L V8 - Blown Head Gasket

When winterizing last Fall, oil was milky. Mechanic said head gasket was blown. I would like to do the work myself. How can I confirm and where can I get instructions for this job?

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

Before you pull heads etc, you might want to pressure check your cooling system. That will help determine what it actually leaking.

A lot of times water in the oil is not caused by failed head gaskets.

There should be some into in the "sticky(s)" (first 2 messages) above in this forum.

mmahalak

Recruit

Thanks for the information, I will do some checking. I have paid a boat shop to winterize my boat every year. If I have a cracked block, wouldn't they be liable for it?

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

You say you noticed the problem last fall? So you used the boat all summer and then had a problem? did it ever get below frezzing before you had it winterized.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the information, I will do some checking. I have paid a boat shop to winterize my boat every year. If I have a cracked block, wouldn't they be liable for it?

They might be but it also might be hard to prove now.......in either case, pressure checking the cooling system will help identify where the leak actually is. I would also do compression check if that proves inconclusive..............

A cyl "leak-down" will also help identify the location of the leak too. That way you can listen to intake and exhaust ports to hear valve leaks. Blown head gaskets are not all that common (at least not as common as cracked blocks and heads)

I would be pulling heads AFTER I did a few non-intrusive (non-disassembly) tests first