88 OMC Cobra drive gear oil?

Erock

Seaman Apprentice
Just bought a boat with a 88 3.0l OMC and Cobra drive. What gear oil do I use in it? I have 85w90 that I used in my Merc but the bottle says "DO NOT USE IN OMC W/ELECTRONIC SHIFT". I know the Cobra drive has shift assist. Is this different? The gear oil brand I have is Quicksilver. Thanks for any help.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: 88 OMC Cobra drive gear oil?

that Quicksilver 85W90 you have will be fine.
Spec is 80W90, but 85W90 is close enough.
Your drive is not electric shift, that warning is for 1964-1977 OMC's

palace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an 87 3.0 and used mobile full synthetic 70w90w. Make sure to fill from the mid/upper fill hole. Biggest difference from auto gear lube and marine is Marine oil resist water.
Just bought a boat with a 88 3.0l OMC and Cobra drive. What gear oil do I use in it? I have 85w90 that I used in my Merc but the bottle says "DO NOT USE IN OMC W/ELECTRONIC SHIFT". I know the Cobra drive has shift assist. Is this different? The gear oil brand I have is Quicksilver. Thanks for any help.

Erock

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys. I did a little more resaearch after my original post and found that OMC had an electric shift drive in the 70's. Just wanted to be safe rather than sorry and I thought I'd better ask. Once again thanks for the help.....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

that should be fine, I have used Merc Hi Performance gear lube in my Cobra for years and it works fine, just make sure you fill it right, it takes about 2 qts depending on the model...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Make sure to fill from the mid/upper fill hole.
Be sure you get this right! Do it wrong and you'll be replacing the drive! Fill it from the MIDDLE port with the upper one "open". Check it initially with the dipstick resting on the threads "to allow for a slight over-fill".

Biggest difference from auto gear lube and marine is Marine oil resist water.
This is somewhat arguable. Mercury and Amsoil and a maybe couple of others, actually mention that their oil "resists" water contamination and still maintains lubrication qualities.

Other oil manufacturers don't mention it (including "automotive" oil makers)

Since there's really NO (specific NMMA) marine specification for gear lubricant, other than the standard API GL-x rating, there's probably little or no difference in ALL the oils except the differences between synthetic and NON-synthetic oils.

In the future, just do oil changes at the end of the season, NOT the beginning..........( SEPT or OCT for most of us that park our boats in the Winter)

You want to do this so that if you actually DO develop a leak, you find it before it sits for 6 to 9 months!! (if it's a LOT of water, it could freeze if you experience below freezing temps)

Cheers,

Rick

Erock

Seaman Apprentice

I usually do change it in the fall but I just got this one and it sat for a few years and I don't know when it was done last. I've been doing my research on working on this thing. It seem to be a little different than my alpha I used to have. Good thing there are forums like this out there to help people out. Thanks