1995 OMC Cobra 5.0 EFI changing alternator

irish70

Cadet
I have a squeeking noise emitting from alternator and smoking belts. When I run at low RPM's for a few minutes then I can run it up in RPM''s and it won't squeak or smoke. So I'm planning to pull alternator. Does anyone have pictures or explanation of a good way to remove. With the bulk head so close, not a lot of room to visualize. Thanks,

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: 1995 OMC Cobra 5.0 EFI changing alternator

Access to the engine compartment is not easy on some boat designs, they're all different depending on seating ect. Some you can just pull the engine cover and everything is right there and others you have to spend half the day pulling seat bases.

LincTex

Recruit

Can you post a picture so we can help you better? On my boat I have to only pull one hose off and it is completely accessible.

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before you change the alternator, run the engine and carefully take a small wire brush and ride it into the "V" groove of the pulley on the side without the belt. Mine did the same thing and was caused by rush/corrosion on the pulley. After you brush the extra off, take some WD-40 and lightly spray it protect the metal. Worked on my ford 5.0 (OMC).

a70eliminator

Captain

Before you change the alternator, run the engine and carefully take a small wire brush and ride it into the "V" groove of the pulley on the side without the belt. Mine did the same thing and was caused by rush/corrosion on the pulley. After you brush the extra off, take some WD-40 and lightly spray it protect the metal. Worked on my ford 5.0 (OMC).

Now that takes a steady hand!,, not to mention alot of guts, I've done it!!