OMC COBRA SHIFT PROBLEMS!!

finneri

Seaman Apprentice
Have a 1993 351 5.8 efi with omc cobra(mod#987346, ser#T0762434). No shift problems on land(w/mufs of course and tilted up a little). When in water almost impossible to get in neutral. If I stop the engine and then start it up in neutral, it goes in to gear easely, but hard to get back in neutral. I find it strange that it works ok on land but not in water. Does this have some thing to do with that ESA switch? If so how is that thing suppost to sit correctly and how can I test it?? Anyone????? :confused:

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC COBRA SHIFT PROBLEMS!!

Yes, most definately your ESA is the issue. Check it by activating the switch with your finger. If the engine stumbles adjust to the Stuart proceedure<br /><br /> http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/index.html <br /><br />If it doesnt stumble trouble shoot if the switch or ESA is bad. I have posted several times sites to buy the CHerry Switch (so have others) or the CDI/Rapair ESA for replacement and then do the Stuart adjustment. Good luck!!!

finneri

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks vatter41, but I am still a little unsure how the little arm is suppost to sit, and the switch on my 351 is on the right side of shift assembly looking from above(or am I looking at the wrong thing), not in the middle according to hastings picture in service bulletin.???

rbezdon

It is really tough to understand your question from the description. If you are referrring to the ESA activation part which has a sort of "W" shape which the spring from the ESA activation switch (as opposed to the Overstroke switch) fits into, the activation switch spring fits into the center slot of the W shape. It will push up for pushing force on the shift cable and pull down for pulling force on the cable. The pulling/pushing force will move the W up or down pushing on the small roller in the Activation switch spring which pushes on the switch. I am not sure what you mean when you say "but I am still a little unsure how the little arm is suppost to sit, and the switch on my 351 is on the right side of shift assembly looking from above(or am I looking at the wrong thing)" and frankly, the picture in the Service bulletin about the wrong spring is really poor.

vicsponjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the distributor was changed to a HEI ignition does the ESA switch need to be changed? If so how do you know which is the correct switch?

finneri

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Ron, I just realized that the linkage to the esa is not hooked up correctly, or missing parts to get the "W" w/spring to go back and forth and engaging the arm that pushes the butten on the esa!!! The engine was taken out before I bought it, and they probably did not install it back properly. How can I find a schematics on how this shift linkage is suppost to look like???? and<br />Is the Overstroke switch the little box w/metal arm on it, on the opposite side of the shift arm. It goes down on a switch when you move it in forward gear, is that correct???<br />Finn

marunr

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is an exploded view:<br />http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/volvo_omc/index.cfm?fuseaction=comp&group=1560&GroupList=1547,1548,1549,1550,1551,1552,1553,1554,1555,1556,1557,1558,1559,1560,1561,1562,156 3,1564,1565<br /><br />However, The shift cable is what operates the W mechanism. Are you saying it's missing the V shaped spring? If it's on there, then your shift linkage is in need of adjustment. That is what will center the roller in the W. If that's the case, you'll need to read the link Ron posted earlier. Read all of the links attached to that one also.<br /><br />If you need to see how the cables all attach you'll probably need a manual, which you'll need anyway to help you adjust the cables.

finneri

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks marunr,<br />I believe it is missing the V shaped spring, and there is no roller in the W. But I definetly need a good manual, any ide of wich would be a good one??<br />Finn

marunr

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should have a switch with a roller on it that looks like the switch in the color picture here:<br /> http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/sealed/e70.htm <br /><br />It appears to be part 26 on the link i pasted earlier. You don't have it?<br /><br />I have a Seloc manual and I think it's pretty good. I've heard complaints about the Clymer manuals. Of course, the best would be the oem OMC manual if you can find it. Sometimes they are on ebay. Maybe someone else has a better source for them.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by nashboat:<br /> Thanks marunr,<br />I believe it is missing the V shaped spring, and there is no roller in the W. But I definetly need a good manual, any ide of wich would be a good one??<br />Finn
I first bought a Clymers and then ponied up for the OEM OMC Service Manual AND the OMC Parts Catalogue for my Cobra. The OMC stuff was well worth the investment. Found both on eBay.

finneri

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys, great help. I found out that I have cobra stern drive with i King shift assembly!!!! The esa works but there are missing part on the assembly, if someone has a good link how this assembly is suppost to look like that would be great?????<br />Finn

rbezdon

There are complete exploded views of the shift assemblies on dougrussel.com. Maybe you can find what you need there.

finneri

Seaman Apprentice

I did, thanks, great help. Anybody know where I can find cables for this, 5.8 efi king cobra???

rbezdon

I suggest dourrussel.com, right where you are looking. Their partnumbers by the way are the same as OMC numbers with a 0 in front and the - deleted in the middle of the OMC number.