• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

OMC COBRA SHIFT PROBLEMS!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMC COBRA SHIFT PROBLEMS!!

Have a 1993 351 5.8 efi with omc cobra(mod#987346, ser#T0762434). No shift problems on land(w/mufs of course and tilted up a little). When in water almost impossible to get in neutral. If I stop the engine and then start it up in neutral, it goes in to gear easely, but hard to get back in neutral. I find it strange that it works ok on land but not in water. Does this have some thing to do with that ESA switch? If so how is that thing suppost to sit correctly and how can I test it?? Anyone?????

Re: OMC COBRA SHIFT PROBLEMS!!

Yes, most definately your ESA is the issue. Check it by activating the switch with your finger. If the engine stumbles adjust to the Stuart proceedure http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/index.html If it doesnt stumble trouble shoot if the switch or ESA is bad. I have posted several times sites to buy the CHerry Switch (so have others) or the CDI/Rapair ESA for replacement and then do the Stuart adjustment. Good luck!!!

Comment

Thanks vatter41, but I am still a little unsure how the little arm is suppost to sit, and the switch on my 351 is on the right side of shift assembly looking from above(or am I looking at the wrong thing), not in the middle according to hastings picture in service bulletin.???

Comment

It is really tough to understand your question from the description. If you are referrring to the ESA activation part which has a sort of "W" shape which the spring from the ESA activation switch (as opposed to the Overstroke switch) fits into, the activation switch spring fits into the center slot of the W shape. It will push up for pushing force on the shift cable and pull down for pulling force on the cable. The pulling/pushing force will move the W up or down pushing on the small roller in the Activation switch spring which pushes on the switch. I am not sure what you mean when you say "but I am still a little unsure how the little arm is suppost to sit, and the switch on my 351 is on the right side of shift assembly looking from above(or am I looking at the wrong thing)" and frankly, the picture in the Service bulletin about the wrong spring is really poor.

Comment

If the distributor was changed to a HEI ignition does the ESA switch need to be changed? If so how do you know which is the correct switch?

Comment

Thanks Ron, I just realized that the linkage to the esa is not hooked up correctly, or missing parts to get the "W" w/spring to go back and forth and engaging the arm that pushes the butten on the esa!!! The engine was taken out before I bought it, and they probably did not install it back properly. How can I find a schematics on how this shift linkage is suppost to look like???? andIs the Overstroke switch the little box w/metal arm on it, on the opposite side of the shift arm. It goes down on a switch when you move it in forward gear, is that correct???Finn

Comment

This is an exploded view:http://www.dougrussell.com/partscata...1563,1564,1565However, The shift cable is what operates the W mechanism. Are you saying it's missing the V shaped spring? If it's on there, then your shift linkage is in need of adjustment. That is what will center the roller in the W. If that's the case, you'll need to read the link Ron posted earlier. Read all of the links attached to that one also.If you need to see how the cables all attach you'll probably need a manual, which you'll need anyway to help you adjust the cables.

Comment

Thanks marunr,I believe it is missing the V shaped spring, and there is no roller in the W. But I definetly need a good manual, any ide of wich would be a good one??Finn

Comment

Anybody??

Comment

You should have a switch with a roller on it that looks like the switch in the color picture here: http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/sw...sealed/e70.htm It appears to be part 26 on the link i pasted earlier. You don't have it?I have a Seloc manual and I think it's pretty good. I've heard complaints about the Clymer manuals. Of course, the best would be the oem OMC manual if you can find it. Sometimes they are on ebay. Maybe someone else has a better source for them.

Comment

Originally posted by nashboat: Thanks marunr,I believe it is missing the V shaped spring, and there is no roller in the W. But I definetly need a good manual, any ide of wich would be a good one??Finn
                      I first bought a Clymers and then ponied up for the OEM OMC Service Manual AND the OMC Parts Catalogue for my Cobra. The OMC stuff was well worth the investment. Found both on eBay.

Comment

Thanks guys, great help. I found out that I have cobra stern drive with i King shift assembly!!!! The esa works but there are missing part on the assembly, if someone has a good link how this assembly is suppost to look like that would be great?????Finn

Comment

There are complete exploded views of the shift assemblies on dougrussel.com. Maybe you can find what you need there.

Comment

I did, thanks, great help. Anybody know where I can find cables for this, 5.8 efi king cobra???

Comment

I suggest dourrussel.com, right where you are looking. Their partnumbers by the way are the same as OMC numbers with a 0 in front and the - deleted in the middle of the OMC number.

Comment

Working...
                              X