Anybody have a line for OMC King Cobra parts???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtlouf

Recruit
Im in desprate need for upper half, shift part Have no friggin idea how this guy that tried fixing broke it?? Got it in parts have it all together but the Bell Crank is broke??? OMC# 0986194 or they had a kit with the pin 3854146 BELLCRANK & PIN. That would be awsome if someone has one laying around!!!!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anybody have a line for OMC King Cobra parts???

Im in desprate need for upper half, shift part Have no friggin idea how this guy that tried fixing broke it?? Got it in parts have it all together but the Bell Crank is broke??? OMC# 0986194 or they had a kit with the pin 3854146 BELLCRANK & PIN. That would be awsome if someone has one laying around!!!!

Howdy,

Welcome Aboard! It's VERY helpful if you post the actual model number (year, make, model, etc) you have.

I am sure that you did a google search though and found that all the OMC parts retailers have listed that thing as no longer available (a LOT of hard parts for that rare and obsolete drive are no longer available as you have probably surmised)

If you have the old (broken) part, and you have all the pieces and you cannot find one used or new collecting dust on some dealer's shelf, I would suggest having a machine shop make one for you.

This will be how it goes for this drive .....break something and you may have to peruse the junk yards or have someone make a one-off part to fix it. Certain models of Big-Block OMC cone clutch drives have a raw water pump impeller that no longer exist!

Sorry about that.......... I had a similar problem with my previously installed 460 King Kobra engine and drive. I fixed it by removing it all and replacing with a (much newer and fully supportable) Mercruiser engine and drive. I sold all the OMC parts while they were still worth something.

Good luck!

Rick

gavdawg

Cadet

I would contact Volvo Penta. The King Cobra is a Volvo outdrive IIRC.

A little history... Volvo was impressed with the workings over at OMC with the sterndrive biz, and bought in around '92 or '93. The King Cobra is a rebadged Penta SX

you really don't have anything to lose by finding a dealer, or contacting them directly with the info you posted here.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It is definitely not a Volvo drive. Completely different.

I also have doubts the OP is going to be back anyway since his only post and only visit to iBoats was on March 31.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A little history... Volvo was impressed with the workings over at OMC with the sterndrive biz, and bought in around '92 or '93. The King Cobra is a rebadged Penta SX

you really don't have anything to lose by finding a dealer, or contacting them directly with the info you posted here.

Impressed, no, they (Volvo) wanted an outdrive foundry in the US, and OMC was going under. The first SX was in 94. It used the Cobra transom shield assembly and the drive was Cobra housing but all Volvo inside. Nothing on it was from the King Cobra.
The joint venture lasted from 94 to 98 when OMC finally folded and Volvo bought them out completely.

The part he is looking for is item 10 in the picture below. It is the OMC King Cobra cone clutch drive, nothing what-so-ever to do with Volvo.

Untitled2.jpg

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Give these guys a shout. http://www.boatparts.ca/

Most guys around here use them. Although they are based in Toronto they also have a shipping point in California.

mk153smaw

Recruit
Talking about bringing up a dead tired, but I am looking for this exact part, OMC Bellcrank and Pin 3854146. Anyone ever find a good line on parts for these? I would love to have a new one made at a fab shop, but my linkage kit was stole from my drive...

southkogs

Staff member
Talking about bringing up a dead tired ...
And it's against the rules bud ;) There's a link below to the forum rules, if you haven't already looked 'em over.

Should be diagrams HERE that can help you with that part.

Welcome aboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.