Transom Seal Clamp

Larry E

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How important and how often should the transom seal clamp be replaced? Also is it OK to go oversize on the transom seal retaining ring screws when they dont tighten well?

Thanks
Larry E

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Transom Seal Clamp

only time I would replace the clamp is if it stripped from overtightening or something.

rather than go oversize (stainless screws are very expensive) , you can just fill the holes with marinetex or a marine epoxy available at any hardware store, then set the srews as the epoxy is about 3/4 cured.

Larry E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

only time I would replace the clamp is if it stripped from overtightening or something.

rather than go oversize (stainless screws are very expensive) , you can just fill the holes with marinetex or a marine epoxy available at any hardware store, then set the srews as the epoxy is about 3/4 cured.

The reason I ask is that I took the boat to the lake yesterday. Had it in the water not off the trailer for only about 15-20 minutes to test the water pump which worked fine. Bilge was dry when we went in and had about a cup full of water in it when I pulled it out. The only thing I can suspect I suppose is the transom seal rubber clamp or the seal to transom is leaking somewhere. Transom plug was in and tight.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I'd think if ya had it runnin', 'n the waterpump worked, pumpin' water,...

The Entire coolin' system would be as suspect, as the transom seal....

Larry E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,.... I'd think if ya had it runnin', 'n the waterpump worked, pumpin' water,...

The Entire coolin' system would be as suspect, as the transom seal....

Are you talking about inside the boat (motor) or outside the boat the outdrive? I saw nothing leaking as far as the motor is concerned.

Larry E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I found the clamp broken and would not tighten so I am going to replace it. I posted another question on the seal sealant that others are using. Maybe you could comment on that. No one seems to want to comment on my latest post about sealant.

Larry

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I've always used OMC sealer 1000 or now 3-m 847. Put the sealer on the hsg,let it get tacky then install the boot and let set. After that install the clamp so the boot doesn't want to move when tighting the clamp.