OMC 1988 4.3L stalling. I'm Gonna sink the darn boat!!!

bob024

Recruit
Ok, I have an 88 OMC 4.3L. At start up I have no problems shifting, but once the boat warms up and i get to my destination the boat stalls going from forward to neutral (makes docking hard)it doesn't stall all the time but about 90% of the time. The shift inerupter switch appears to be centered in the "V". I've told I need a new shift cable, been told it just needs an adjustment, been told i need a new shift interupter switch???? Can anyone please shed some light? Also when it stalls, it doesn't stumble it just dies instantly. I attatched video of interupter switch when boat stalls

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: OMC 1988 4.3L stalling. I'm Gonna sink the darn boat!!!

Have you tried to unhook the shiftcable that goes to the outdrive and pull/push by hand, with the engine off?

You can not engage the gears fully, when the engine is not running, but you can get a feeling on how sticky the cable is.

That's where I would start.

A sticky cable can(will) cause trouble.

bob024

Recruit

Thanks for the help.
I will give that a try, if I find it is sticky does that mean I need to replace the cable or is there an adjustment to make? (my 1st boat and i'm learning) Aslo, I assuming that when you say the cable could be sticky that means that I should be able to move the cable back and fourth smoothly without much pressure?

Thanks again
Bob

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the help.
I will give that a try, if I find it is sticky does that mean I need to replace the cable or is there an adjustment to make? (my 1st boat and i'm learning) Aslo, I assuming that when you say the cable could be sticky that means that I should be able to move the cable back and fourth smoothly without much pressure?

Thanks again
Bob

If the cable is sticky, when pushing/pulling, yes you will have to replace it. The only thing that can be adjusted regarding the cable, is the length. It should be quite easy to move the cable by hand.

I replaced the cable for the Cobra outdrive last year on a friends Bayliner, it was not that much of a job, but the outdrive must be removed.