1969 SeaRay with 1600 GM Dumps water out seams on water intake.

rainman01

Cadet
Hello,
I have a 1969 SRV 210 Weekender That I bought 1 & 1/2 years ago. I restored the entire top end of her when I bought her.... Decks, carpet, seats, wood trim, electronics, doghouse...etc...etc... partially restored the cabin, and will continue.
Her first year she ran beautifully, sking, tubing, wakeboarding, no problems.
The stupidity set in last winter when I covered her and put her up. I drained nothing, thinking she was like an outboard and gravity would take care of it for me. When I took her out this past summer, she started right up, idled nicely, and upon opening the doghouse I saw she was leaking along the manifold, (water intake). I reved her up, she continued to run nicely, but the leaks along the seams turned into torrents of water. No knocks, no missing, smooth running. A couple of questions to people with knowledge of I/O's quickly to me I had screwed up by not winterizing her.She has a 1600 GM straight 6 in her. I love the boat and am not giving it up. How much damage could I have done. Can I salvage the motor? Can I put a different motor in her, and if so, can I use a new long block GM truck motor? And by new, I am talking about buying a new long block from NAPA. Opinions, suggestions, advice, ALL are welcome.
Thank you,
Dennis.

120_i/o

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1969 SeaRay with 1600 GM Dumps water out seams on water intake.

rainman, Does not sound good mate!!
"How much damage could I have done." cracked manifold/block

"Can I salvage the motor?" some internals maybe

"Can I put a different motor in her, and if so, can I use a new long block GM truck motor?" sure, im not so positive that GM carrys them, but they can be had all over by reputed engine builders....maybe an industrial version??? Im sure someone will chime in on this one!!

rainman01

Cadet

rainman, Does not sound good mate!!
"How much damage could I have done." cracked manifold/block

"Can I salvage the motor?" some internals maybe

"Can I put a different motor in her, and if so, can I use a new long block GM truck motor?" sure, im not so positive that GM carrys them, but they can be had all over by reputed engine builders....maybe an industrial version??? Im sure someone will chime in on this one!!

Thank you for the response. GM does carry straight 6 long blocks, but I am un-sure of the horsepower, (mine is 160) or application would work.

120_i/o

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If they do, than im sure they have something to fit.
I personally would try to find a donor boat with a good "heart" with bad interior, and then just change out the engine
Another option would be to find a core from a old chevy delivery/panel, or similar, or Fleabay, and take it to a local engine shop. Totally replacing with "new" is gonna cost some bux tho!!!!

rainman01

Cadet

You are correct about the bux, 2 grand for a long block. BUT I have a fair amount in her already. I worked for Larson Boats for a number of years building cabin cruisers, (Icurrently work for Crestliner in QA), all interior work, not engines, and did this one up proper. Have been watching fleabay for about 6 months, and have seen nothing that is a decent prospect. The few I have seen are from donation sites with no engine verification. Thus I am considering spending the money if it will work. We live on a lake and have 2 fishing boats, a sail boat, a run-about, and this. I will keep at it.

120_i/o

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, if dropping some coin doesn't bother you, then go for it. The best thing to do in this case, would be to call GM, and tell them what you want in an engine, and discuss your options.
Remember the chances of your manifold being bad are very likely, so be prepped to shove out some dough for that too!!!

Bondo

Staff member

Hello,
I have a 1969 SRV 210 Weekender That I bought 1 & 1/2 years ago. I restored the entire top end of her when I bought her.... Decks, carpet, seats, wood trim, electronics, doghouse...etc...etc... partially restored the cabin, and will continue.
Her first year she ran beautifully, sking, tubing, wakeboarding, no problems.
The stupidity set in last winter when I covered her and put her up. I drained nothing, thinking she was like an outboard and gravity would take care of it for me. When I took her out this past summer, she started right up, idled nicely, and upon opening the doghouse I saw she was leaking along the manifold, (water intake). I reved her up, she continued to run nicely, but the leaks along the seams turned into torrents of water. No knocks, no missing, smooth running. A couple of questions to people with knowledge of I/O's quickly to me I had screwed up by not winterizing her.She has a 1600 GM straight 6 in her. I love the boat and am not giving it up. How much damage could I have done. Can I salvage the motor? Can I put a different motor in her, and if so, can I use a new long block GM truck motor? And by new, I am talking about buying a new long block from NAPA. Opinions, suggestions, advice, ALL are welcome.
Thank you,
Dennis.

Ayuh,... By yer own discription, you need the manifolds, not a new block,...

Napa can't help ya there.... 'n the long blocks from Napa, probably don't have the front motor mount ear cast onto 'em...
You need a COMPLETE new motor,... Used is yer only option...

Or,...
You could do a complete repower/ refit with a newer Volvo, or Mercruiser...

rainman01

Cadet

OK, so if I am getting this right, the manifold is my problem, not the motor. I acyually think that is the case as she still runs well. Or idles well anyway. I have not pit it under a load yet, only idle, and reving in neutral. My starting point would be replacing the manifold? Had'nt considered the mounting ear. Not haning the proper mount would be a major problem. I suspect a newer volvo/merc would also include replacing the outdrive. Maybe even tilt/trim, controls, etc... More than I can spend at this point. Is it a good idea to try replacing the manifold and go from there? We are comminf up on weather where I can put muffs on her and get started.
Thank you,
Dennis.

Bondo

Staff member

Is it a good idea to try replacing the manifold and go from there? We are comminf up on weather where I can put muffs on her and get started.

Ayuh,... Start by runnin' it, 'n determinin' Exactly where it's leakin'....

Then replace whatever parts ya find that are Leakin'....

Post pictures if you'd like,... We're just goin' on what you've Said....

rainman01

Cadet

Thank you again. When it gets warm enough her I ill try pics. Been chewing on this for near to a year, will not out-guess myself now.
Thank you,
Dennis.