Transom shift cable tools

MRS

Commander
OK changing cable out again just wanted to show people here that do not have these tools what they look like. This is the first time doing cable with these tools and it makes all the differance in the world :) They are well worth the price almost makes the job easy.

bellcrankplate.jpg

transomcabletool.jpg

Last edited:

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Transom shift cable tools

OK changing cable out again just wanted to show people here that do not have these tools what they look like. This is the first time doing cable with these tools and it makes all the differance in the world :) They are well worth the price almost makes the job easy.

bellcrankplate.jpg

transomcabletool.jpg
Nice of you to share, I only have that first tool you show, the second adjustment I'll struggle with a ruler to get there.
Can you use that first plate to transpose it to the opposite gear shift rod just to verify that it's height is correct and fits perfectly into the actuator rod? I can't quite remember on mine I've only had to use it once about 10 yrs ago.

MRS

Commander

Can you use that first plate to transpose it to the opposite gear shift rod just to verify that it's height is correct and fits perfectly into the actuator rod? I can't quite remember on mine I've only had to use it once about 10 yrs ago.

No you need this tool. On mine 86 cobra I have too split outdrve to adjust I think on 90 on up you can adjust without splitting. Outdrive on yesterday checked by spinning by hand and all seems good. Will run on muffs today and make sure all is good if so I can change out carpet.
Killing me not getting out I hear fish calling my name when I sleep.:eek:
DSCN0525.jpg

MRS

Commander

The tools for the cable and bell crank I got from mason marine in Pasadena Ca. If lived closer you can pickk up on will call for no shipping charge in La verne. Hope this work http://www.marinepartshouse.com/omc....html?osCsid=ccb2656bbcd27571826c5e74150c115a The tool for the shift shaft height I do not remember where I got might have been e-bay. On the bell crank plate I did have to open the slot up just a hair so it would not hurt the threads on the studs if you have to open up alittle side ways not up or down. Really made fixing a lot better Good luck on your job if I can help will do if I can.... P.S. make sure and get a new cable too maybe new bellows also that all helps make the job easier...

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the pix, I actually bought those same tools (the shift cable and bellcrank ones) from Crowley Marine last year. I did it because sooner or later I'll have to change the shift cable, but believe it or not the one on the boat when I bought it in 2002 is still shifting it fine. I had it adjusted by the best OMC tech around back in 2004 and its still shifting well. I am going to pick up that other tool when I find it as well.

MRS

Commander

OK this is for emjk431 these are the tools the bell crank tool I did not use the nuts and washers to hold on but I guess you could. First setup the cable ajustment on the linkage on the motor then go to the bell crank. Do not change the linkage setting once they are set the bell crank tool will put you 90dg.s and you will be good to go. If you follow this post others will be able to help also.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Could you post a picture of the cable tool with a ruler on top of it. I woulx really appreciate it.

MRS

Commander

The jig is 8-1/4 long from the center mount hole of the casing to the center of the turnbuckle is 6-1/2. From the center of casing to the cable crimp end is 7-5/8 + - 1/32 but the jig will put it there.
transomcabletoolsetup-1.jpg

Last edited:

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is the 7-5/8 from the right side or left side of the nut?

MRS

Commander

Is the 7-5/8 from the right side or left side of the nut?

It is to the cable end nothing to do with the nut. The nut is just snugged to the end of the cable the jig will give you the right numbers. The nut just fits in the slot that is cut in the jig.

emjk431

Recruit

Thanks MRS, changed it out yesterday. Went not bad for the first time, tools made the difference. The problem I was having was the nut that came with the new cable was slightly too large and wouldn't go into the jig. I filed it slightly and that solved that issue. Also found it easier to take the cable out with the pivot housing then take it off, I also installed it the same way

MRS

Commander

emjk, glad I could help alittle I also took off pivot housing forgot to mention that sorry. Us O.M.C. folks got to help each other when we can.:D

Bruce O

Cadet

I have a question. I am unable at this time to purchase the metal jig. I did find another post that http://forums.iboats.com/member.php?u=329675 shows a wooden jig. I need to verify the measurements. The service manual link http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/tcable1.jpg states the following: #83 SLIDE CASING GUIDE (F) AT ENGINE END OF CABLE IN OR OUT TO SET A 7 5/8" +/- 1/32" DIMENSION (G) AS MEASURED FROM THE CENTER OF THE SHIFT PIN HOLE (H) TO THE EDGE OF THE CABLE CRIMP.

Here is a picture of what Im trying to verify: 7213033692_7414fdfedf.jpg
Your picture show Shift Pin Hole: transomcabletoolsetup-1-b.jpg

Can you measure that from me? I would appreciate it. Thanks

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class

The 7-5/8th measurement is "pre-failure" dimension - it is not correct. That dimension was in the books before OMC realized there was a problem with the shift cable settings, and had to spend millions replacing cables and drives. The dimension that OMC calls for now is 7-9/16th.. that dimension is measure from the center of the pin hole to the metal casing behind the nut. Any other measuring points ( like the cable sight hole) can deviate depending on the manufacturer of the cable. The tools out there have gotten pretty cheap.. are you sure you can't afford them?

omcdimension.jpg

I really wish there was a way to contact Hastings so that page ( a lot of people still post that link) could be replaced with the proper one.

Bruce O

Cadet

Thank you for the updated adjustment. I am trying to borrow one from a local repair shop. I wanted to have everything ready to go and get the tool back to them asap.

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is the least expensive cable tool I could find. $55 Cell Cast Acrylic. Do you think this would be good?

View attachment 166001

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shift-Cable...Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr#ht_1245wt_1271

If you can borrow the tools, that's your best bet.. but if you can't find anyone with them.. the acrylic ones work just fine. The newest version of the acrylic tools even has the trunnion barrel measurement etched in to the tool.. ( Of course I am biased to these tools, because I am the one who makes them)

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you can borrow the tools, that's your best bet.. but if you can't find anyone with them.. the acrylic ones work just fine. The newest version of the acrylic tools even has the trunnion barrel measurement etched in to the tool.. ( Of course I am biased to these tools, because I am the one who makes them)
Shameless plug? Lol...:)

I'll vouch for these though, I just used a set myself.

MRS

Commander

The 7-5/8th measurement is "pre-failure" dimension - it is not correct. That dimension was in the books before OMC realized there was a problem with the shift cable settings, and had to spend millions replacing cables and drives. The dimension that OMC calls for now is 7-9/16th.. that dimension is measure from the center of the pin hole to the metal casing behind the nut. Any other measuring points ( like the cable sight hole) can deviate depending on the manufacturer of the cable. The tools out there have gotten pretty cheap.. are you sure you can't afford them?

omcdimension.jpg

I really wish there was a way to contact Hastings so that page ( a lot of people still post that link) could be replaced with the proper one.

The shift pin is where the casing bolt gos thru and it really is not outdated works great any how it did for me. But you can do what works for you and the tools are not that much to buy if you own and want to keep your boat running right.:)