5.8L omc cobra fuel problems

dustin4501

Recruit
I bought a 1993 four winns 190 horizon sunsport and it needs some work when i try to crank it it attemps to start but acts like it is out of gas. I have heard of these motors having fuel pump problems but I need to know if there is 2 fuel pumps one in the fuel tank and outside or just one? Its a EFI fuel system.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 5.8L omc cobra fuel problems

Your question is not specific to Four Winns; it's a general OMC drive system question. I suggest you post your question in the OMC drive section.
You can try looking at the Four Winns technical information on their website or remove the floor section covering the fuel tank and take a look. I doubt there's an in-tank pump.

Good luck.

Globetrottin1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 5.8L omc cobra fuel problems

I have an '88 Chris Craft with two OMC I/O's (28') the starboard engine keeps getting starved for fuel and boots down when I try to advance the throttle to get up on plane. I seem to be Abe to correct it by replacing or dumping the fuel filter. I replaced the filter at the carb as well. It will work great for a while and then start acting up again.
I was thinking about it tonight on the way home and it occurred to me that I heard a sucking sound as I unscrewed the filter. Could there be some sort of vapor lock or vacuum issue in the fuel line/tank system? Is there a check valve at the tank or somewhere? What could caus these symptoms?