Ignition switch or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry E

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got my neutral switch installed and WALLA the motor turns over like a champ. But wait a minute it will not stop cranking when I release the key. I have to disconnect the battery to stop it. Then when I hook the battery back up it is OK till I turn the key again. Ignition switch or slave solenoid?

Larry E

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ignition switch or what?

Have you been doing any rewiring, or starter repair or anything like that?

Larry E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes but that should have nothing to do with the way this is acting. It is like the ignition switch is not returning to the neutral position or the slave solenoid is sticking. I think I will put a new ignition switch on because this one looks like the original on a 74 boat.

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class

just touch a volt meter to your sononoid. If the signal feed from the key stops when you turn the key back, it is most likely a sticking solonoid. If the signal (+12v) stays there when you turn the key off, the ignition switch is bad.

etracer68

Ensign

Just courius, why ask a question, if your going to just do what you want, with no testing. Don asked the question for a reason.

Don S

. I think I will put a new ignition switch on because this one looks like the original on a 74 boat.

Good idea, then when it still has the same problem, let me know what you've been working on and we will see if we can't do something silly, like troubleshoot the system and look at some things before throwing more parts at it.

Larry E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK Mr Oracle I got your point. Sorry I asked the question. The reason I am going to replace the ignition switch is that it has a broken terminal anyway...

Larry E

Don S

If you know it has a broken terminal, then you probably should have replaced it before posting about your problem. We can't see broken terminals from our keyboards.

PS, my name is Don, not Mr Oracle................

Larry E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK please let me off. This is a ship going no where. When I started this thread I never intended for it to get personal. I realize Don that you have the right to question but not sure if that right includes being so condesending. So I will move on and not bore you all with my lame questions...:rolleyes:

Don S

Let me reword it.

If your ignition switch has a broken terminal, replace it, that is likely the reason your engine won't shut off.

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ignition switches are different between OBs and IOs. Unless you get an exact replacement switch, the wires will need to go to different terminals. You need to be concerned with 3 different connections: 1) 12 volts into the switch 2) 12 volts out of the switch going to the gauges and engine ignition and 3) Momentary This is where you twist the key and you get a momentary 12 volts to activate the starter solenoid. If your boat has Fuel Injection and such the ignition switch may have more connections.

The new switch should have a wiring diagram to identify the mentioned connections. The boat wiring diagram should identify that ? color of wire for the 12 volts coming from the battery, the starter wire etc The picture shows the complex switch. Some boats still use the older 3 wire connection

Here's another post regarding OBs http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=373277

2009-06-05_024806_OutboardIgnitionSwitch.jpg

Pay attention to the B, S and A connections below.... If you have an IO

KeyswitchWiring.jpg

Larry E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Craig. That info is much appreciated and makes sense to this lowly apprentice...:redface:
Ignition switches are different between OBs and IOs. Unless you get an exact replacement switch, the wires will need to go to different terminals. You need to be concerned with 3 different connections: 1) 12 volts into the switch 2) 12 volts out of the switch going to the gauges and engine ignition and 3) Momentary This is where you twist the key and you get a momentary 12 volts to activate the starter solenoid. If your boat has Fuel Injection and such the ignition switch may have more connections.

The new switch should have a wiring diagram to identify the mentioned connections. The boat wiring diagram should identify that ? color of wire for the 12 volts coming from the battery, the starter wire etc The picture shows the complex switch. Some boats still use the older 3 wire connection

Here's another post regarding OBs http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=373277

View attachment 130788

Pay attention to the B, S and A connections below.... If you have an IO

View attachment 130791

Larry E

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Problem solved

Problem solved

I solved my problem in a previous post about my starter not disengaging when the key was released. YOU DO NOT want to paint your engine block up all pretty then bolt the slave solenoid to the block because the paint job prevents the solenoid from being grounded through the mount bracket...All is well now...:p:D

Thanks for your inputs and I hope this might help someone else someday...

Larry E

Status
Not open for further replies.