what to use to clean cooling system on a v 6 used in salt water

matthew daley

Seaman Apprentice
hi ive been told to use caustic soda to clean my cylinder block as it is badly corroded ive stripped engine to do this and block is bare is it a wise thing or is there anything else i can use as ime going to put block in a tank and leave it soak cheers mat:cool:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: what to use to clean cooling system on a v 6 used in salt water

hi ive been told to use caustic soda to clean my cylinder block as it is badly corroded ive stripped engine to do this and block is bare is it a wise thing or is there anything else i can use as ime going to put block in a tank and leave it soak cheers mat:cool:

Ayuh,.... A Different used block,..??....

cr2k

Captain

Wouldn't the soda also eat the bores and bearing races, lifter bores, cam bearings?

matthew daley

Seaman Apprentice

used caustic in the end done a brilliant job engine block was bare no bearings at all it dissolved all the rust out of cooling system i put it in a plastic 45 gallon drum and mixed 6 kilos of caustic with water then i put a steel pipe into cylinder block and connected it to a compressor so it would bubble causing sirculation left it for 3 days adding boiling water every now and then seemed to make it work better then remmoved it and washed it with a hoze first then pressure washed it with plenty of tfr to get rid of the caustic.
the block has been powder coated to protect it new liners cam bearings cam crank and oil pump fitted looks realy good ile try and post pic but ime usless at doing computers