Ignition timing 1993 7.4L OMC King Cobra

davepepin

Recruit
I've just replaced the engine in my boat (454 OMC) and I need to set the base timing o 8 or 10 degrees BTDC because when I installed the distributor on the new block, I had to set it at o degrees BTDC. The timing should actually be around 8 degrees BTDC but I need to bypass the module in order to set it. I need to know which wire to disconnect/jumper to bypass the module and set the base timming. I have ordered a service manual and am still waiting for it to arrive. Can anyone out there help me out??<br /><br />Thanks

obnoxus

Recruit
Re: Ignition timing 1993 7.4L OMC King Cobra

What did you find out,,, I need the same info.<br /><br />THANKS !!!!!!!

DHPMARINE

Captain

Thank you for something I didn't realize.I thought only Mercruisers needed to be timed in base mode.Just not doing enough Cobras.I'll see what I can find out.<br /><br />DHP

obnoxus

Recruit

Thanks !!<br /><br />I installed the engine and didnt think about any advance controls as there are no wires going to the distributor.<br /><br />But trying to set timeing, it keeps it at approx 50 degrees no matter what I do to the distributor,,,, well within reason anway until I am off enough to jump cyls.<br /><br />It must use the flywheel sensor to control advance, disconnect it altogether and it wont run as I suspected.<br /><br />Thanks for any help !!!!!!!!!

obnoxus

Recruit

Anything !!!!?????? HELP !!!!!!!<br /><br />Is there any way to get ahold of Sea Monkey?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Chris Craft 454 King Cobra:<br /> I've just replaced the engine in my boat (454 OMC) and I need to set the base timing o 8 or 10 degrees BTDC because when I installed the distributor on the new block, I had to set it at o degrees BTDC. The timing should actually be around 8 degrees BTDC but I need to bypass the module in order to set it. I need to know which wire to disconnect/jumper to bypass the module and set the base timming.
What is the OMC Cobra model number on the engine so we can be sure to find the correct specification?

obnoxus

Recruit

There is no model # on it.<br /><br />It is a 93 7.4 King Cobra. with the computer mounted on the exhaust manifold.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Just a suggestion but you may want to consider buying an OMC original service manual for the 1993 Cobra. Just searched eBay and there are several on there,either general service or even electrical/ignition specific ones. It may be worth the small investment to get the right information. Here is a link to one just for an example OMC Ignition Manual

obnoxus

Recruit

I will probably have to,,,,, I just dont do many OMC's here and seeing Sea Monkey had the same engine I was hoping he would chime in.<br /><br />Is there anyway of getting his email address?

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

Sounds like you have the “Spitfire” ignition system.<br />Timing is not adjustable with this set-up.<br />The distributor just gets indexed to #1 cylinder.<br />No way should you be getting 50 degrees of advance.<br />40 degrees is about max that it should put out.<br />You will need a manual to do any troubleshooting.<br />Trouble is most of the tests require an OTC electronic ignition tester P/N OMC D3200.<br />And the real beauty of this system is after doing all the tests and still having the problem it’s recommended to replace the E.E.M. module!<br />Might want to think about converting to a conventional system.<br />Good luck, muc