OMC 800 outdrive worm gear removal

Bob197

Cadet
I cannot remove the worm gear assembly by lifting the outdrive.It problably is held by corrosion preventing the retainer and bushing from sliding out .I am trying to replace a broken worm gear drive shaft and am concerned about inadvertently damaging the intermediate housing.How might this be accomplished?

KaGee

Admiral
Re: OMC 800 outdrive worm gear removal

Welcome to Iboats!<br /><br />Do you have the tilt housing disassembled and the clutch pak/gear assembly taken out??

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

That gear isn't going ANYWHERE without the clutch pack out. Once you remove it, you can practically "wish" it out. <br /><br />Remove the three 9/16 bolts on the tilt gear. Prop your drive up SAFELY, I use a cinder block and motor cycle straps to the tie downs for mine. Remove the snap ring on the small round gear. Remove the 4 7/16 bolts on the clutch cover, carefully remove the clutch pack. Remove the 3 3/8 bolts on the worm gear casing. It should come out easily, if not you can finagle it out. I'll bet you a small fortune you have a ton of water in the clutch casing.......<br /><br />Hey Keith, whats new?

Bob197

Cadet

I have not removed the clutch assembly at this point.Is that my next move? If I take out the clutch assembly, how will tht help?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Bob197:<br /> I have not removed the clutch assembly at this point.Is that my next move? If I take out the clutch assembly, how will tht help?
Simple! The clutch pack engages the wormgear shaft. Ya can't pull the shaft past the pack til you remove it. Might be a good time to change the double lipped seal on the clutchpack shaft while your at it.<br /><br />Also, as these boxes are prone to letting water in, if yours doesn't have a drain plug in the bottom of the clutchpack housing, now's a good time to tap in a 1/8" npt stainless pipe plug.

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good luck, Keith and Boomer helped me learn this part of the assembly. They know their S#$%. <br /><br />Boomer, please email me. mnehky@yahoo.com

Bob197

Cadet

Thank you for your kind and prompt advise.I will follow your instructions and will report back.I.m having trouble removing the moon gear bolts but will break them if I have to.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Bob197:<br /> Thank you for your kind and prompt advise.I will follow your instructions and will report back.I.m having trouble removing the moon gear bolts but will break them if I have to.
Whoa, Bob!!! Hold your horses. No need to break bolts here. Get out your propane torch. Heat around the bolt on both the housing and the quadrant. Heat it just short of burning the paint. This will expand the holes allowing room for the bolt to move.<br /><br />Then try to work the bolt back and forth a bit. Once you unseat a bolt, spray some good penetrant down the shaft and keep working it back and forth, each time turning it out a little further. You may need to heat and apply penetrant several times for each bolt.<br /><br />The bolt hole in the housing will also develope corrosion in the empty space between it and the unthreaded portion of the bolt. The housing is aluminum and the gear is bronze.<br /><br />This might take a little patience but it will be far better than removing a broken bolt. Once out you should chase the holes with a threader, clean them out with brake cleaner and grease your bolts up before reinstalling.

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't break anything dude! I think Don. s. has the best signiture on the boards about having enough time to do it right the "second" time..... Heat em up, even if you trailer it to a local garage, but don't break em! Don't go too hot either, just enough to get em going, then back and forth. MIne have been in and out now a milion times (I have no tilt motor right now, this is how I raise and lower my drive) that they spin by hand! When you re-install everything, grease the bejeeezus out of em. Good luck.

Bob197

Cadet

Having trouble getting the lower 9/16 bolt out or the moon gear.Wrench does not fit properly because the outdrive is down and the gearcase interference..Do you recommend drilling the head off?

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nope, do you have a u-joint for your socket set? Either that or a swivel extension. On the swivel extension the drive part is shaped like a diamond, hence it's ability to swivel. A good one to have, especially if you have to change that tilt motor. I honestly don't recommend cutting anything. It's alot more work than is needed. Local hardware or auto parts store will have a u joint in the drive of your choice. Heat it first if you can.

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually, if you need to, after you remove the clutch housing cover and clutch, you could leave that gear attached and use it to remove the worm gear. Lift the outdrive after clutch removal and the gear should pop right out. (You'll have to have the drive away from the clutch to re-install though. When your done, write back if you need the help, or email me at mnehky@yahoo.com) <br /><br />Either way, make sure you have the tilt gear properly placed when putting it all back together, The drive absolutely must be ALL THE WAY DOWN before you run the engine. I put mine on by hand with the last tooth at what would be 12 o'clock on the round gear. The drive sits right to it in the "all the way down" position.

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

BTW, I replced the clutch and gear o rings and gaskets when I did mine, I recommend you do too. Nothing will ever keep water out of that system, but reduction is better than nothing!

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just re-read your last post. Take the clutch out. You can then remove the worm gear, lift the drive, and throw a socket or wrench on that last 9/16ths. Good luck. <br /><br /><br />I wish the sun would stay out. Feels like Seattle 'round here!

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you turn the drive by the steering wheel all the way to the left you can reach behind with a set of off set snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring on the round gear.

Bob197

Cadet

Finally got the last 9/16 bolt out uaing the swivil,heat and LPS.Outdrive is now raised.I removed the 4 gearcase cover screws and the "e" ring on the gear but that gear is corroded on to the shaft and won't budge.That seems to mean that I can't remove the clutch as an assembly, but instead piece by piece.Does this sound like the right move? Haven't broken anything yet! There was no water in the clutch housing.It looks new inside.(Or at least at this point).

KaGee

Admiral

Did you remove the gear that drives the quadrant?<br />That gear comes off and the whole clutch pak and gear should slide out.

Bob197

Cadet

The gear that drives the quadrant seems to be corroded in place.I have the clip off and tapped the shaft with a hammer but she's stuck.The part that concerns me is,even if I do get the gear off and the clutch assembly out, how does that help get the retainer bushing out which also seems to be stuck.According to the OMC manual, rotating the gear will push the worm gear which,in turn, will push the whole assembly out so I can replace the broken worm gear shaft.

KaGee

Admiral

Get out the heat again. Get some PB Blaster and soak that shaft/gear for a few hours. You will have to go back and re-spray periodically.<br /><br />I'm in a hotel right now, when I get home tonight I'll respond after I break out my manual. I don't recall what you refer to as a retainer bushing.<br /><br />Oh, get a tilt housing reseal kit ordered. After all of this, the seals will definetly need replaced.

Bob197

Cadet

Thanks for the "on the road response". <br />After the 3 screws are removed from the worm gear retaining cover and the cover removed,there's a round metal piece that seems to hold the worm gear assembly in place.The manual calls it "bushing and retainer".This appears to be the thing thats preventing the worm gear and shaft from being removed from the housing.With clutch in place,they indicate that rotating the quadrant gear would push the worm gear shaft out since the clutch gear would be pushing against it allowing the whole "cotton pickin" assembly to be removed.