OMC 800 Stringer - Reliable? Bullet Proof? Garbage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have read mixed reviews on the OMC 800 Stinger.

Claims like "Bullet proof" or "Poorly engineered," or "Works great as long as the fluids are changed."

What is the truth? Yes parts cost a bit more I know. OMC is out of business, I know that too.

What about the RELAIABILITY?

The OMC year range I'm talking about here is 80 - 85.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: OMC 800 Stringer - Reliable? Bullet Proof? Garbage?

The answer to your question is "all of the above."

They are a pretty robust drive for the most part with some very positive features. There probably were some engineering faults with the design that makes 'em a little funky to deal with. Add in that they are now antiques and not too many Marine Mechanics want to deal with them, and you've got a drive that not too many people want.

I purchased mine not really knowing what a Stringer was (mine's electric shift), and if I knew then what I know now - I probably would have moved on to a Merc. HOWEVER, I've gotten to like the drive system and even enjoy working on it. The Stringer will make a mechanic out of you for sure. But, I'm not that mechanical and I've been able to keep mine on the water and running fairly nicely for relatively little expense.

I have the 250 Inline 6 with an electric shift (165HP). The engine is pretty much bullet proof - it just runs. The outdrive has given me the bigger problems, but by the end of next year I hope to have "Frankenstein-ed" a second unit together as a spare to keep me going. The boat runs very quiet, takes a little to get up on plane and is pretty efficient.

Others will have far worse experiences, but there are a reasonable cache of crazies out there who like 'em and keep 'em running.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

The answer to your question is "all of the above."

They are a pretty robust drive for the most part with some very positive features. There probably were some engineering faults with the design that makes 'em a little funky to deal with. Add in that they are now antiques and not too many Marine Mechanics want to deal with them, and you've got a drive that not too many people want.

I purchased mine not really knowing what a Stringer was (mine's electric shift), and if I knew then what I know now - I probably would have moved on to a Merc. HOWEVER, I've gotten to like the drive system and even enjoy working on it. The Stringer will make a mechanic out of you for sure. But, I'm not that mechanical and I've been able to keep mine on the water and running fairly nicely for relatively little expense.

I have the 250 Inline 6 with an electric shift (165HP). The engine is pretty much bullet proof - it just runs. The outdrive has given me the bigger problems, but by the end of next year I hope to have "Frankenstein-ed" a second unit together as a spare to keep me going. The boat runs very quiet, takes a little to get up on plane and is pretty efficient.

Others will have far worse experiences, but there are a reasonable cache of crazies out there who like 'em and keep 'em running.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you regret buying your boat?

You also mention that you have gotten to like the drive & enjoy working on it?

Do you find it to be fairly straight forward to work on?

Only one seal on the drive that can sink the boat right?

**The thing I have researched on the Merc & Cobra's is I get the impression every 6-10 years they need bellows replaced (3 rubber boots) that can sink your boat, ruin your gimbal bearing, and seems like alot of people have to replace the transom seal every 10-15 years.

The Merc * Cobra's don't seem to be as simple to work on as people may think based on you tube video's I have seen and even those out drives are very expensive to have worked on professionally..

Bellows alone are $700 professionally replaced and the transom seal I believe adds another $400 then you'll end-up replacing your gimbal bearing $100 - $200 which easily make's for $1,200 - $1,300 over a 10 year to 15 year spread not including other items such as hoses or shift cables, etc..

How much money have you stuck in your OMC Stringer so far?

How long have you owned it?

Do you think the Merc / Cobra's are less to own / maintance VS. OMC Stringer?

southkogs

Staff member

Long post - waited until everybody went to bed so I could type it all out:

Do you regret buying your boat?

No. I really like my boat. I'm kinda' partial to older fiberglass boats, and this one has some classic looks to it. It functions very well for me, and the layout is right on. I even like the stringer drive.

You also mention that you have gotten to like the drive & enjoy working on it?

The Stringer offers a few advantages: It runs pretty quietly compared to the Mercs I've been on (even newer ones), I think the radius of the swivel gives a little tighter control (tighter turns) and even considering how finicky they can be - I like electric shift. The reason I've come to enjoy working on it is that I'm not that mechanical and doing wrench work is soooo different from my day to day stuff (commercial artist).

Do you find it to be fairly straight forward to work on?

Well - for the most part yes. On the overall it's not that complicated, and for someone not mechanically inclined (yours truly) I can wade through it okay. These forums help immensely.

Only one seal on the drive that can sink the boat right?

Correct. It's a BIG FLIPPIN' hole if that seal comes undone on you - but it's just that one (outside of things like your drain hole).

The thing I have researched on the Merc & Cobra's is I get the impression every 6-10 years they need bellows replaced (3 rubber boots) that can sink your boat, ruin your gimbal bearing, and seems like alot of people have to replace the transom seal every 10-15 years.

I would suggest it's probably a wash. If you buy an OMC transom seal on a stringer, there's a reasonable chance it'll last you a long time (20 years). If you buy aftermarket seal, you'll probably change it more often. They're $100-ish and should be considered regular maintenance.

The Merc * Cobra's don't seem to be as simple to work on as people may think based on you tube video's I have seen and even those out drives are very expensive to have worked on professionally..

ANY marine mechanic is going to be expensive on ANY drive. The Cobra's seem to be starting to be treated like the Stringer (nobody wants to work on 'em). I think the Mercs and the Cobras do seem a little more complicated, but I think the complicated stuff is generally the stuff that would be beyond me anyhow (cracking into a gearcase, for example). I've done some work on my Dad's Mercruiser and I don't think it's any more difficult to deal with than the Stringer is.

Bellows alone are $700 professionally replaced and the transom seal I believe adds another $400 then you'll end-up replacing your gimbal bearing $100 - $200 which easily make's for $1,200 - $1,300 over a 10 year to 15 year spread not including other items such as hoses or shift cables, etc..

How much money have you stuck in your OMC Stringer so far?

$2k in maintenance and repairs on a boat over 10 years sounds pretty reasonable to me. They say you can simulate the joys of boating by standing in a cold shower and tearing up $100 bills :D I've got about $1,800 into my boat - purchase, registration and repairs. I'm going to wind up close to $2,500 by the start of next spring when I get done doing a few more repairs this winter and fix the trailer. I bought her with a bad upper gearcase, and was fortunate to find a replacement cheap. When I bought the boat, I decided that I could afford to completely risk the purchase price if I couldn't fix it - and so decided to take the chance.

How long have you owned it?

2 years.

Do you think the Merc / Cobra's are less to own / maintance VS. OMC Stringer?

All of them are the same maintenance. That's just being a boat. A Cobra is going to cause you some of the same things a Stringer is (mainly tracking down parts and finding people to help you fix things you can't). The advantage of the Mercruiser is that they're still in business making drives. They are THE mainstay of the sterndrive business (not necessarily the best), and they're all over the place. And, quite frankly, Merc makes a good sterndrive.

At the end of the day, I would probably recommend away from OMC if you haven't already bought a boat. HOWEVER, if you find a boat that fits your budget, and you REALLY like the boat and you're not afraid of having to work on it ... then an OMC is not the kiss of death.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

Southkogs,

Yeah there is a 18ft 260hp 1980 crestliner I like. Needs a tilt & trim motor $300 part I assume and he told me that the transom seal was replaced 3 years ago. The interior is torn out for restore but has the seats. The exterior is a nice blue with white under neath. He is willing to accept $550 for the boat.

Here is the link:

http://rmn.craigslist.org/boa/2620199408.html

crestliner.jpgCrestliner # 2.jpg

Let me know what you think of this boat for the price?

southkogs

Staff member

Yeah there is a 18ft 260hp 1980 crestliner I like. Needs a tilt & trim motor $300 part I assume and he told me that the transom seal was replaced 3 years ago. The interior is torn out for restore but has the seats. The exterior is a nice blue with white under neath. He is willing to accept $550 for the boat.

What you're dealing with here is a project, and that is going to become a question of work vs. risk. First, determine if you can afford to lose $550 - if so, the next question is if you're okay with a boat that has a 50/50 chance of getting on the water next season. I say that not because you can't get the job done, but rather according to the seller the engine hasn't run in 3 years. God Himself is the only one who knows what you're up again there - could fix easy, might need a whole new engine. On top of that, you can't test the outdrive to see what kind of shape it's really in ... and again it's not been run in 3 years (presumably). Expect about $2,000 to get her on the water (hopefully not, but that's what I would plan for). If you're up for all the wrench turning ... okay with the risk ... and like the boat, go for it.

As a note: a new tilt motor probably will run you close to $200, but you might be able to have it rebuilt for about $50 at the local parts shop.

For $500 more, this boat might be worth a look: http://rmn.craigslist.org/boa/2616896778.html Not a bow rider, but seems to be more lake ready. And for $1,500 you could get into this one: http://rmn.craigslist.org/boa/2638344071.html. You're not losing a lot of seating, Glastron is a pretty boat and this one looks to be in good shape, and those 3 cyl. Johnson/Evinrudes are great motors. - - my point being, the difference between a $500 boat and a $1,500 boat is pretty steep. Not as much work to do on the Glastron, and it's lake ready now.

It may be a question of budget for you, and I can appreciate that. Just weigh out the risks carefully.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

I called the seller. Told me the boat was winterized 3 years ago. He offered to run the engine in person & allow me to check it over. He also told me he is a certified auto mechanic and understands marine engines very well. He went on to say that he has other boats and this boat isn't on the top of his priority list.

Asked about the outdrive. He told me the tramson seal was replaced 3 years ago. Also said the outdrive works great and the only item that needs replaced is the trim motor.

Your thought if you were the buyer in this situation?

Bondo

Staff member

Your thought if you were the buyer in this situation?

Ayuh,.... A Seller will tell ya anything that needs to be said to sell the boat...

Believe Nothing yer told, 'n only 1/2 of what ya see...

southkogs

Staff member

Still kinda' staying with what I said above. If you could put her on the water for an hour or so and run her out, might change my mind after the sea trial - but, beyond that ... it's still too many "ifs."

For myself, on inland lakes - I'd probably switch gears toward the Glastron I posted in my last post. It looks a little more promising (not trying to sell you on the idea).

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

the stringer is easy to work on with the right tools. a big blue-point internal c-clip pliers is needed to pull the lower apart. other than that, a helping hand every once in a while to remove the drive.

the drive is man-made, and will fail eventually (just like everything else). keep up with the maintenance and it would last. if there is signs of abuse or severe corrosion, keep looking.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

the stringer is easy to work on with the right tools. a big blue-point internal c-clip pliers is needed to pull the lower apart. other than that, a helping hand every once in a while to remove the drive.

the drive is man-made, and will fail eventually (just like everything else). keep up with the maintenance and it would last. if there is signs of abuse or severe corrosion, keep looking.

Good to hear that this drive is fairly reasonable to work on. My dad said my uncle had a boat back in the 80's that had the 800 stringer and said that the outdrive always performed very well.

He said the key was to keep the fluids changed and keep up on the maintance. Overall, he didn't seem too concerend about these older drives. He wasn't tooo concered about the transom seal either but my dad was young when these drives were very young as well.

Thanks!

mrlassi1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My experience with an OMC 190 (electric shift) and a Crestliner Crusader 190, both 1976 models (see Liberty's photo below with my signature below):

>The rig was given to me
>I loved the lines of the hull - a closed bow deep vee
>Everything needed an overhaul - trailer, boat interior, deck, stringers, transom, engine, and outdrive
>Took me a year and challenged everthing I know about mechanics, carpentry, and glasswork
>Spent $5,500.00
>Was very satifying to do everything myself
>This forum, the iBoats marine store, Overton's, and eBay provide access to every part you need - just be patient

I could have bought a much newer boat with either an outboard or Merc stern drive for the same or less money - but wouldn't have had a "project" - I love having a project

Good Lord willing, I plan to keep this rig for a long time

The heavy duty snap ring comment made me smile. If you ever have to get into the lower unit to replace the prop shaft like I did - you'll need them. The shaft itself was brand new OMC part shipped to my door off eBay for $100.00

Decisions, decisions - as for me I feel I made a good one

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

My experience with an OMC 190 (electric shift) and a Crestliner Crusader 190, both 1976 models (see Liberty's photo below with my signature below):

>The rig was given to me
>Everything needed an overhaul - trailer, boat interior, deck, stringers, transom, engine, and outdrive
>Took me a year and challenged everthing I know about mechanics, carpentry, and glasswork
>Spent $5,500.00
>This forum, the iBoats marine store, Overton's, and eBay provide access to every part you need - just be patient

I could have bought a much newer boat with either an outboard or Merc stern drive for the same or less money - but wouldn't have had a "project" - I love having a project

The heavy duty snap ring comment made me smile. If you ever have to get into the lower unit to replace the prop shaft like I did - you'll need them. The shaft itself was brand new OMC part shipped to my door off eBay for $100.00

You said the boat was given to you so I assume the floor was trashed?

Stringer's were rotted?

How did you know the transom was bad?

This seller claims the boat has been stored the whole time he has owned it. Said the floor & transom was solid, transom seal replaced 3 years ago.

I can afford $300 - $500 to stick in it by spring but $5,500 like what you spent makes me want to run FAST!

Seller claims the engine is solid, no blow by, no ticks, no knocks, is willing to let me run up to opertaing temp and check over. Getting late for test run in the water.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

>The rig was given to me
>Spent $5,500.00

How does your unit handle big waves, wakes, chop?

Ride quality?

Top end speed?

mrlassi1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

JMW, since the rig your are considering has been in dry storage, you would definately be starting from a better place than I did.

As to handling big waves - Liberty is a 19' deep vee. I take her out on lake Oconee (East of Atlanta) so the largest waves come only from other boat's wakes - she hanldles them wonderfuly. Her ride is sure and comfortable.

The OMC 190 is based on a Ford 302 V8 with a 2bbl Holley Marine carb. She sounds like a Mustang GT and tops out at 40 mph per my Garmin GPS. When crusing I run her @ 2,200 RPM which gets us around the lake just at just under 30 mph.

Hope this helps. Decisons, decisions, decisions...

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

JMW, since the rig your are considering has been in dry storage, you would definately be starting from a better place than I did.

As to handling big waves - Liberty is a 19' deep vee. I take her out on lake Oconee (East of Atlanta) so the largest waves come only from other boat's wakes - she hanldles them wonderfuly. Her ride is sure and comfortable.

The OMC 190 is based on a Ford 302 V8 with a 2bbl Holley Marine carb. She sounds like a Mustang GT and tops out at 40 mph per my Garmin GPS. When crusing I run her @ 2,200 RPM which gets us around the lake just at just under 30 mph.

Hope this helps. Decisons, decisions, decisions...

Do you have some pic's you could post here on iboats? I would like to see the design of your hull.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

im sorry guys.... i just looked in on this, a year or two back......whne a buyer posted in the general forum about buying a boat....

the general concencus was it it said OMC just dont buy it.......now that the drive is a few years older.....i would imagine that the concensus has not changed.

i do know that when one comes into the shop....there is not much we can do for it....

i would say just buy boat with a merc alpha gen 2 and be done with it. lots of fixes.....whole drives cheap......and proven relaible.
so why are you considering an omc?

Bondo

Staff member

im sorry guys.... i just looked in on this, a year or two back......whne a buyer posted in the general forum about buying a boat....

the general concencus was it it said OMC just dont buy it.......now that the drive is a few years older.....i would imagine that the concensus has not changed.

i do know that when one comes into the shop....there is not much we can do for it....

i would say just buy boat with a merc alpha gen 2 and be done with it. lots of fixes.....whole drives cheap......and proven relaible.

Ayuh,.... Couldn't Agree more,...
If a boat says OMC, or 470 Mercruiser, Don't even look at it,...
Move on, there's Plenty of boats out there lookin' for new homes...

Ironically, a tiny portion of my job description is stuffin' Mercs into hulls that somebody thinks is a Classic....
That had old OMCs or Volvos...

southkogs

Staff member

Ironically, a tiny portion of my job description is stuffin' Mercs into hulls that somebody thinks is a Classic .... That had old OMCs or Volvos...

Y'know, I actually thought of looking into that because I really like the hull of my boat. But, I can't quite justify it -

I just got started WAY too cheap - literally after buying a second sterndrive, and doing the repairs that I plan on doing this winter, I think I'll be under $2,500 for boat, registration, parts and 2 seasons of gasoline. Not skill in the least, I just decided I could risk it (original purchase price) and was willing to do the work myself. I've just lucked out. If I can keep her on the water for a few years, I'll be pretty happy with it and prepared to buy something else if she gives up the ghost. It'll be the last OMC that I'll own.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

The reason why I was considering OMC is because I liked the design of the boat & price. I realized OMC made envinrude which was a different machine and that was my only experience with OMC. So with that said, my experience so far has been good BUT I also realize that companies do make good & bad products.

I've gotten a mix bag so far with this OMC application and the part that probably concerns me is parts. They're still out there but becoming harder to get.

I see alot of well taken care of boats (mid to late) 80's with V8 Merc's & Alpha 1 drive application. Any compliants you may have with this technology? I'm interested in knowing the history of this tecnology as well. Thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.