OMC 800 Stringer - Reliable? Bullet Proof? Garbage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: OMC 800 Stringer - Reliable? Bullet Proof? Garbage?

What boat is it that you're looking at - or do you already have it? There are just too many of them out there to get yourself blocked in, ya'know?

mrlassi1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

JMW,

Speaking from my experience don't let the lines of the boat draw you into the OMC sterndrive for the following reasons:

1) Parts are hard to find for the OMC. The transom seal I used in my rebuild was new, but not an OMC part. It's a year old and has already failed. The ball gears will need replacing at some point and from what I can tell, the aftermarket parts are not as hard as the OMC parts and will wear quickly.

2) The OMC drive is not designed to operate when tilted. This is a real disadvantage over the drive and trim/tilt technology in the Merc.

3) There are just too many good deals out there with better power options.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

What boat is it that you're looking at - or do you already have it? There are just too many of them out there to get yourself blocked in, ya'know?

Nope haven't bought the boat. Being very picky so I don't get myself backed into a "money pit."

southkogs

Staff member

Nope haven't bought the boat. Being very picky so I don't get myself backed into a "money pit."

I would say steer away from the OMC then, unless you're specifically looking to restore/keep alive an antique drive system. For practical usability and a more robust drive - put your money into something newer with a Merc.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would say steer away from the OMC then, unless you're specifically looking to restore/keep alive an antique drive system. For practical usability and a more robust drive - put your money into something newer with a Merc.

Yeah I decided to go with a 1985 Century 3000 19ft Bow Rider that has either a 305 or 350 merc with alpha 1. The seller says everything works so I'll find out if he was dishonest come spring. Pray what I was told is true.

I paid $800 for the boat. Both the exterior & interior I would say is fair to good.

southkogs

Staff member

Hey that's great! Century is a fine boat, and if you've got something that is clean and easy to get in good running order for under $1,000 you're probably doing well.

Best to ya'!

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey that's great! Century is a fine boat, and if you've got something that is clean and easy to get in good running order for under $1,000 you're probably doing well.

Thank you. I don't know much about Century boats during the 80's. Why are they a fine boat?

I just want hear your opion or what you know from other people who have owned a Century bow rider.

How can you tell if the engine is a reman? I think the engine in there now is a reman but not sure.

southkogs

Staff member

I don't know much about Century boats during the 80's. Why are they a fine boat?
Century has been building boats for a long time, and they've been (in my experience with them) very consistent in quality. There was a family on our lake that had one (I don't honestly even know what model), but I was always impressed with it. Over the years as I've looked at them more and more I've been taken with the style and the handling. The Coronado is a "maybe someday" boat for me. I've always considered Century's in that same class as Chris-Craft for pleasure boats. You can always get a bad one, but as a rule they're quality boats.

I just want hear your opion or what you know from other people who have owned a Century bow rider.
Post some pictures in the Century forum and start getting folks opinions. Those guys will have more experience and information than I will.

How can you tell if the engine is a reman? I think the engine in there now is a reman but not sure.
I'm not sure. I've never dealt with one. Someone will be along who has though.

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1980 stringer on my 22' Skiff Craft all wood boat. I had a problem with over heating one time that drove me nuts. A old OMC mechanic told me to give the swivel bearing about 12 shots of grease sealing up the bearing, problem gone. I replaced the seals when I converted over to a complete mechanical shift. Other then that and a tilt motor, No problems.
I change the lower lubes every year, Take it out fishing about 12 miles in lake Erie.
My boat is a heavy one, but that drive moves it fine.

Last edited:

StumpLifter

Recruit
Bought a 1984 SeaRay 270 with twin 800 stringers manual shift. Boat had been maintained and hit WOT RPM factory new specifications. driven by 5.7l GMCs. Performed my own maint. no water in the drives. some in the tilt clutch on one side. Seals replaced. The quietest boat I've ever been aboard. Literally have to open the engine hatch to hear them running. Slammed into a log at 30 knots. stopped the boat but no damage to the drives. Seem to be plenty of parts available. Didn't know the difference OMC v Mercury but having Merc OB in the past know that parts are outrageously expensive. Not at all sorry I have the OMC stringers. "Mechanics" won't work on any of the systems on this 1984. Funny how the internet offsets all the bull you get from "mechanics". Tons of parts and information. Once I completed a few repairs myself "mechanics" said bring it in we'll work on it. Sorry boys easy enough to do it myself. went from "plan to spend $2000/year per drive" to self maint - $100/yr per drive. Fear not the wrench!

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard StumpLifter. We ask you don't post in topics over 90 days olde unless you're the original poster.

Stringers have a stigma, and their quirks. But I like 'em well enough. Glad yours are going so well.

Topic closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.