Draining 5L OMC

bbracken

Seaman Apprentice
Drive is 1993 OMC Cobra 5.0 L HO in 19 ft. Chris-Craft

I found a block drain on the port side, but not on the starboard. I couldn't find any manifold/riser drains. I disconnected hoses from manifolds. I also disconnected main water pump hose and what I think is PS cooler hose.

Am I missing anything?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: Draining 5L OMC

There has to be a drain on the starboard side, its a bit in front of the starter....
The exhaust manifolds on that model have rubber caps on them held on with hose clamps...
You also have to disconnect the lower connection of the big hose on the front circulating pump, that holds a lot of water
Finally, the raw water intake hose that connects to the thermo housing has to be disconnected at thermo housing, and pointed down in the bilge to drain it. I poke all drains with a small screwdriver because they easily get clogged with rust and then don't drain. I fill the engine, manifolds and raw water intake hose with antifreeze after draining but that's optional. The raw water intake hose connects to the power steering cooler on rear of the engine. The cooler has a drain plug on it but it's hard to get to. By pointing the hose down, you can drain it as long as the engine is level. I fill that hose with AF to push out any remaining water, you will see water come out the drive water intakes. When you fill the manifolds with af, you will see it run out the exhaust ports on the transom mount. You have to use no tox af if you do use af. DO NOT use the suck the af up the drive kits either....

indybleck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Draining 5L OMC

I took the hose off the power steering cooler on the engine side will that be enough to drain the cooler? I can't find the drain plug on the cooler although I'll look again when I take the batteries out. I'm hoping that by taking the hose off that will be enough. I though about taking the hose off the lower unit side of the cooler and using my air compressor to blow air through the ps cooler.