• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.
  • **** The forums will be undergoing maintenance tonight approximately 9:30pm-midnight MDT. Thank you for your patience during this time. ****

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone else’s thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it’s posted at the end of someone else’s thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

omc 2.3 cobra

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• omc 2.3 cobra

i got a caravelle with a 2.3 cobra motor i put elec. igntion in dist. runs great in the yard reeves idles but when i put it in the lake it dont want to go ive checked compresion timing just dont want to plan out its like low throttle its alright bot when i try to get down on it it dont want to go if any one might know the problem or direction to point me in it would be great thanxs:

Re: omc 2.3 cobra

Originally posted by scott p View Post
    it dont want to go
    Might want to explain this a bit more.

The rest of that long sentence was a bit hard to understand as well.
    1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
    Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
    Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
    "Common sense is not very common"
    "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

in the yard with water muffs on it idles and reeves fine. but when it is put in the lake its like it does not want to go. it will go to about half throttle but from half to full it wont's to bog down

Comment

Checked compression, timing and dwell?

How old is the Fuel? Filters been changed?

When was the last time you changed plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor?

This something new? Has boat performed properly before?

Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI

Comment

its a boat i got from a friend . i have not changed the fuel filter . best that i know it has not been ran for probley 5 years or so. like i say it runs great in the yard it has new cap roter but no new wires or plugs. i did dump the fuel filter and it had sum trash in it. i disconected the line at the tank and put it in a 5 gallon can with fresh gas. i did check copression on all 4 cylinders they all were good

Comment

Originally posted by scott p View Post
            its a boat i got from a friend . i have not changed the fuel filter . best that i know it has not been ran for probley 5 years or so. like i say it runs great in the yard it has new cap roter but no new wires or plugs. i did dump the fuel filter and it had sum trash in it. i disconected the line at the tank and put it in a 5 gallon can with fresh gas. i did check copression on all 4 cylinders they all were good
            Sounds like you have some work to do. Sounds like a carb rebuild may be in order.

Also, never dump a filter and reinstall. That trash that didn't quite get dumped out made its way to the output of the filter and is now being sent to the carb. Always replace with a new filter when you take an old one off.

What were the compression numbers?

Points? Dwell? timing?

Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI

Comment

i put electroic ignetion in the distubuter got rid of the points could that have something to do with it maybe not getting anough fire when its in the water . i got a new feul filter tody and installed. it has a brand new holly 500 hundred 2 barrel carb on it.

Comment

OK...I will ask these questions again one more time.

Did you set the timing to spec?
                What were the compression numbers?

I promise...I won't ask the same questions for the 4th time again!

How did it run before you swapped out the points?

Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI

Comment

compression on cylinders range from 145 to 155 timing is to specs . i never heard it run on the points . does it have more than one filter

Comment

Is the timing advancing like it should when you increase RPM? Looks like you should have 34° total advance with 10° initial.

Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI

Comment

Working...
                    X