omc 2.3 cobra

scott p

Recruit
i got a caravelle with a 2.3 cobra motor i put elec. igntion in dist. runs great in the yard reeves idles but when i put it in the lake it dont want to go ive checked compresion timing just dont want to plan out its like low throttle its alright bot when i try to get down on it it dont want to go if any one might know the problem or direction to point me in it would be great thanxs:

scott p

Recruit
Re: omc 2.3 cobra

in the yard with water muffs on it idles and reeves fine. but when it is put in the lake its like it does not want to go. it will go to about half throttle but from half to full it wont's to bog down

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Checked compression, timing and dwell?

How old is the Fuel? Filters been changed?

When was the last time you changed plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor?

This something new? Has boat performed properly before?

scott p

Recruit

its a boat i got from a friend . i have not changed the fuel filter . best that i know it has not been ran for probley 5 years or so. like i say it runs great in the yard it has new cap roter but no new wires or plugs. i did dump the fuel filter and it had sum trash in it. i disconected the line at the tank and put it in a 5 gallon can with fresh gas. i did check copression on all 4 cylinders they all were good

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

its a boat i got from a friend . i have not changed the fuel filter . best that i know it has not been ran for probley 5 years or so. like i say it runs great in the yard it has new cap roter but no new wires or plugs. i did dump the fuel filter and it had sum trash in it. i disconected the line at the tank and put it in a 5 gallon can with fresh gas. i did check copression on all 4 cylinders they all were good
Sounds like you have some work to do. Sounds like a carb rebuild may be in order.

Also, never dump a filter and reinstall. That trash that didn't quite get dumped out made its way to the output of the filter and is now being sent to the carb. Always replace with a new filter when you take an old one off.

What were the compression numbers?

Points? Dwell? timing?

scott p

Recruit

i put electroic ignetion in the distubuter got rid of the points could that have something to do with it maybe not getting anough fire when its in the water . i got a new feul filter tody and installed. it has a brand new holly 500 hundred 2 barrel carb on it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

OK...I will ask these questions again one more time.

Did you set the timing to spec?
What were the compression numbers?

I promise...I won't ask the same questions for the 4th time again! :)

How did it run before you swapped out the points?

scott p

Recruit

compression on cylinders range from 145 to 155 timing is to specs . i never heard it run on the points . does it have more than one filter

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Is the timing advancing like it should when you increase RPM? Looks like you should have 34? total advance with 10? initial.

omctiming.gif