OMC Throttle control

trmelvin

Cadet
I have a 1986 Baja Islander. Can you rev the engine without putting the drive in gear? I know there is a button on my merc for that put cant find one on my OMC? Any help will be appreciated.

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Throttle control

Yes there should be a neutral throttle button.

trmelvin

Cadet

Is that going to be on the shift control? Thanks I'm going out to have another look

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you can't find a button, put the lever in neutral and see if the handle will pull out away from the control about 1/2" if it does, move the lever forward, that should be throttle only.

There are so many different controls on the market, that without a picture of what you have, it's impossible to give you an exact answer of how to get to throttle only.
Older boats are even worse. You have no way of knowing it the control was replaced or not.

chriscraft254

Commander

This is the kind that came with my omc. Like said, you pull the handle outward in neutral, then you can revve the rmps in neutral.
If you can't find a button, put the lever in neutral and see if the handle will pull out away from the control about 1/2" if it does, move the lever forward, that should be throttle only.

There are so many different controls on the market, that without a picture of what you have, it's impossible to give you an exact answer of how to get to throttle only.
Older boats are even worse. You have no way of knowing it the control was replaced or not.

LAC_STS

My original OMC control operated the same way Don describes.

My new OMC/BRP control has a button in the middle/bottom of the control.

Id bet you have the kind Don talks about. If you cant figure it out post some pics.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

omc throttle control.jpgThe original OMC controls had a chrome handle with a black insert that said "OMC" on it, those did not have a button but you just pulled it out to disengage the shift system. They were actually pretty well made controls, mine still works fine after 24 years....
The one in the pic was used on Cobras, if yours looks like that it probably has no button and just pulls out.

LAC_STS

Yes sir!

Thats the original one I had.

The newer BRP replacements have the button.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Many different controls were put on boats with OMC Cobras. There were many from different manufacturers that were compatible.