help with changing thermostat on 77 Ford (omc 909255 housing)

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hello,

I am trying to change my thremostat on my boat, I have the housing off and cant figure out how to get the thermostat out of the housing.

my housing is just like this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-OMC-V8-Stern-Drive-Thermostat-Housing-909255-/130514269775

any tips on removal and installing new one? how the heck do you get the old t stat out ?

furthermore, my boat never warms up - hence the new thermostat. But from what I can tell though when looking at the location of this thermostat inside the housing it seems that cold water will always be going through the engine and never allowing it to warm up, it seems as if I may as well not have a t stat in anyways, I figured the t stat would be more towards the engine to regulate the temp.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: help with changing thermostat on 77 Ford (omc 909255 housing)

Usually held in place with a big O-ring.

Redrig

Usually held in place with a big O-ring.

Got it thanks Bruce. it was so corroded in there i could barely see it.

To my suprise though, my old Thermostat was not stuck open like I figured it would have been.

What else could cause a boat to never go above 130? My impeller was changed last year and probably doesnt have more that 10 hours on it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Only the thermostat. Your gauge may be saying 130 but the temp may actually be higher. Best thing to do is buy an IR temp gauge and see what it really is.

Also, test the thermostsat in a pan of water on the stove with a thermometer to see if its opening too early.

Redrig

Wow! Back from the dead thread .

Well I may as well update it . Boat is warming fine now , an new t stat and all new faria gauges and senders .

There was a decent amount of rust in mine as well , I just wire brushed off what I could