Replaceing Remote control 3.0 OMC Cobra any Recommendations?

palace

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For everyone who has replaced there side mount controls, any tips, tricks, something you wish someone told you before you started? I have original controls on 1987 bayliner, 3.0 Cobra. They are both red cables. I have OMC templates and OMC service manual. Already sliced and trim wire in handle once and re-spliced. Trim works fine. Control is just stiff when accelerating and takes good familiarity to get into neutral and reverse. Control is not smooth. Face place on control has been cracked as well. What do you wish you could do different?

Should I replace control with new cables?
looking at these controls http://www.iboats.com/Control-Singl...9303656--**********.900338600--view_id.169291

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Replaceing Remote control 3.0 OMC Cobra any Recommendations?

Should I replace control with new cables?

Ayuh,... My guess is the cables are the cause of the stiffness, so check 'em...
If they do move hard, ya replace 'em...

I've always found the task to be pretty straight forward, myself...

palace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bondo, what do you recommend for grease cables? Wd40?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You never lube these cables. If they don't operate smoothely, they need to be replaced.

One thing that is important to do with the shift cable from the control on the OMC Cobra, is to make sure it is supported along its entire length with zip ties or other mounting methods. This reduces lost motion and makes the shift a lot more crisp.

How is your lower shift cable? if you take the forward cable off at the engine, can you shift it easily by hand from there? Have you pulled the drive to make sure that the cavity where the shift bellcrank lives is free of deposits. This is particularly a problem if you boat in salt water. Later bellcrank bushings were designed with a zerk fitting on them that allowed you to fill the cavity with grease after you reinstalled the drive.

Besides the lower shift cable, replacing the control and cable and supporting that cable were the most important things I did to make shifting easier.

I like this control:
http://www.iboats.com/Teleflex-SL-3...00976031--**********.292929997--view_id.47705
http://www.lowcostboatingstore.com/...-STANDARD-SIDE-MOUNT-wTRIM-SWITCH_p_1210.html
And its a bit cheaper than the one you noted. See if Iboats will price match the lower link.

The one I have on my Volvo is essentially this one. Interesting though that the one marketed by Volvo is a lot less money.

palace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bruce appreciate your knowledge. Supporting the cables, that I did earlier in the season and it made a difference. I will take the lower shift cable off this weekend and check. As far as drive and cavity where the shift bellcrank lives, was clean and I litely greased/lubed in April. She has only been in fresh water to date. Some day will make trip to San Diego to cruise the bay, then flush out the salt.
I can save the $80 on the control.

Thanks again.
Mark