OMC trim clicks both up and down, but will not engage trim motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dellsboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What does it mean when OMC trim clicks both up and down, but will not engage trim motor.
1988 OMC Cobra 5.7

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC trim clicks both up and down, but will not engage trim motor

Likely the 50A breaker/fuse that feeds the relays for the trim motor itself is open. The relay coils themselves get their power from a different source. Check that first.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Check that, but also check the relays themselves. If you can jump them and make it go up and down, then you have bad relays. I assume it has 2? Mine does. I thought to myself, how could both go bad at once. Well they did. Easy fix.

dellsboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help, any one have a picture or diagram of thses and how to jump them? Seems odd they both could go at once, but have seen odder stuff happen!

baumann6

Recruit

I thought it was odd also that they both could go at the same time but they did.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

tap on the side of the motor housing with a wrench.. if it starts to work it means the commutator bars and brushes need service/cleaning- don't assume you have fixed it with the tapping though- the joy won't last

you can service it yourself, take it to an electric motor shop, or buy a replacement motor (Arco, Sierra, probably still get OEM too)

doberman-guy

Seaman Apprentice

One simple thing to check also, is to make sure your battery has a good charge. With my boat not running my battery was on the weaker side and would lower but just click on the lift. I charged the battery up and it lifted like it should.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is just the wiring diagram for your engine.

Attachments

• wire dia.jpg
    wire dia.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 16

dellsboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update:
I tried to jump the solinoids, The big bolt on top to the one directly below it. I had to take a rubber cover off the top bolt to access it. Nothing happen. I know the top was getting power. I thought I would hear a click, but did not. Assume I did not have to run the trim switch while jumping right?
So, does this suggest it is the trim motor itself?

Also did remove battery and charge. Put back in, same result, trim up or down, just a click from the solinoids....

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Update:
I tried to jump the solinoids, The big bolt on top to the one directly below it. I had to take a rubber cover off the top bolt to access it. Nothing happen. I know the top was getting power. I thought I would hear a click, but did not. Assume I did not have to run the trim switch while jumping right?
So, does this suggest it is the trim motor itself?

Also did remove battery and charge. Put back in, same result, trim up or down, just a click from the solinoids....

Assuming you did it correctly, then it sounds like a motor. Might be able to remove it and take it apart and clean it, or see what it needs. If you do not feel confident, you can bring it to a small electric motor repair shop. They can also test it to make sure it really does need to be rebuilt. You can also test with a meter with someone else at the helm pressing the switch.

dellsboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can I take off the motor without draining all the trim fluid?

jtpilot1

Recruit

Does anyone have a photo looking down on the motor, showing the solonoids, I am missing a solonoid.
1988 1950 Capri chevy 305 5.7L

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need to start a thread of your own.

Chris55

Cadet
Same thing just happened to me, worked fine 1 day, next Trim just clicks, glad it happened at home not on the water,

jbcurt00

Staff member
Closed
Avoid posting to old inactive topics @Chris55

After 90days w no new posts, consider inactive topics closed and for research only.

If you have problems w your OMC, start a topic about yours.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.