Reinstalling Cobra Outdrive

rybad

Petty Officer 1st Class
I pulled my outdrive (1989 Cobra on 5.7l) to replace the u-joint bellow and shift cable. While trying to reinstall the outdrive, I ended up chewing up the inside of the new bellow, around the inside of the rim.<br /><br />My questions is, is it OK to still use that bellow (I'm thinking the acutal seal is more to the outside of the lip).<br /><br />Also.. is there a "trick" to getting that dam drive back on?? Everytime I pull it, it takes me 2 hours and three guys to get the u-joint through the bellow.. after that it's fine. Just wondering if anyone had any tips on that.<br /><br />Thanks!!<br /><br />-David

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Reinstalling Cobra Outdrive

Hate to say it,but it's a fact of life.These drives can be hard to install.Try using a screwdriver to turn the ujoints as you instal.Also if it engages the splines,try clicking the starter.Usually goes in okay then.Also follow up on the previous posts.Sometimes a walk around the block works.Sometimes they go in so slick you could lose a finger.<br /><br />DHP

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

put remote in neutral shift drive into a gear as pushing drive forward turn propshaft which in turn will turn "u"joint shaft this helps a lot once "u"joints have cleared bellows drive should just slide on and it should shift back to neutal (be sure)<br />hope this helps

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I guess I am lucky.<br /> they are tight but I have never had a problem with them. I lube the u-joint cross with dishwashing liquid and rotate it with a thin screwdriver while installing. always goes first try.<br /> I do however block the skeg up so I am not holding the weight of the drive. I got to old. or they got heavier in later production runs, not sure which :)

olbuddyjack

Petty Officer 1st Class

rodbolt,<br />You must be holding your tongue right. Thats the secret you know...

rybad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tried spinning the prop as we pushed it, but the u-joint wasnt clear of the bellow seal yet, and ended up gouging it up on the inside. That suck because it was a brand new bellow. I had to but the old bellow back on, then it went in easier.<br /><br />-Thanks.

whywhyzed

Banned

My old cobra was a miserable ***** to install.<br />I found this stuff for Caterpillar hydraulic seal installations Cat part # 1U9891. That stuff helped- it's so slippery - dishsoap would certainly be easier to find.

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

FYI, OMC later changed the inside I.D. of the bellows by 0.30" to allow EZier installation of the OD (that gave 0.15" more clearence). The bellows, BTW, is really ez to change for those who just have such a time with what they have. MerCruiser should of did it the OMC way! I usually put the drive in gear, and turn the prop to get the u-joint/shaft assembly rotating, that usually helps it slip in past the edge of the opening. And whenever I need to, I just turn off the lights, somethings I do better in the dark!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

MerCruiser should of did it the OMC way!
They did on the Alpha I Gen II's and all the Bravo's

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, Don, but it's "just a little bit tighter" at the transom end on a merc than on a Cobra. OMC gets the nod!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

but nothing beats the SX for ease of removal,dissasembly and reinstallation. :) <br /> kinda like v yamahas lower unit R+R.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

OMC gets the nod!
Yer kidding........ESA system that can only be adjusted by those with a thousand years of experience, gear problems because of wrong angle on the shift dogs, shift cable problems ....... went out of buisness, miss one thing and you loose a 3 thousand dollar drive. Yep, that would make me give them the nod over Merc.<br />I'm with rodbolt, Volvo any day over either of them, even in the 60's.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I did not know we were discussing ease of repair or the fact that volvos dont require as much as OMC or merc. the propshaft thing on the SX aside and the lower swivel pin that needs modifiying on commercial drives. but if I was gonna buy something that sticks out the back mine will be volvo.