OMC Hard Steering/Pulling to Port

utadventure

Cadet
I have a 1974 Cobalt 18' TriHull, 165 HP Chev, OMC outdrive. While running, it's hard to steer the boat to starboard (tight) and it wants to turn to port on it's own. It appears to steer fully from one side to the other.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful!!

Dave

superbenk

Commander
Re: OMC Hard Steering/Pulling to Port

Not sure if the electric shift Stringer has the ability to adjust the exhaust port on the cavitation plate behind the prop. On the later mechanical shifts with through-prop exhaust & most modern outdrives there is a small fin there that you can adjust from side to side to help deflect the prop wash slightly to offset prop torque.

Also, if you have trim, try trimming up some to see if that helps. If it does, play with the trim to find a sweet spot between maneuverability & performance.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Definitely adjust the trim tab/exhaust outlet above the propeller. Aim it the opposite direction that it pulls to.

utadventure

Cadet

Thanks for the information. I've made an adjustment. Next is to put it back in the water and then adjust from there.

:)

Dave

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If the boat pulls to starboard, move the rear of the trim tab to starboard. If the boat pulls to port, move the rear of the trim tab to port. If you only have power TILT and not Tilt and TRIM don't raise the outdrive when under way as you will take out the ball gears in the outdrive.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I used to work with this guy who had a simple answer to adjusting anything so I'll quote him here:

"turn it one way, if it makes it worse, go back and go the other way"

utadventure

Cadet

There are some reference markings on the exhaust port. One was longer than the rest and the exhaust was pointed more the port than to starboard. Thanks to the great info above, I moved it so it was a little more to starboard than the main mark.

SUCCESS!!! It works great! You point the boat in any direction and let go of the steering wheel and it keeps going.

Thanks to all.

Dave