Loose cables and steering woes - 92 7.4L King Cobra

07caddy

Seaman
Two questions:

Part 1:

I installed a new exhaust boot and upon taking out the old one I noticed a loose cable. Don't really care for dangling cables back there.

1. Can someone help identify these and tell me where they belong? (pic included)

Part 2:

Steering has been pretty tough. Power steering reservoir is at the right level I lubed the steering ram with Triple Guard.

2. Should I lube any other steering components or just the ram and go from there? (pic included) Are steering cables really $200.00 and up? Maybe I was looking at the wrong thing on Overton's.

Appreciate the help,
Mike

Attachments

• cables by exhaust boot.jpg
    cables by exhaust boot.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 0
  • steering ram.jpg
    steering ram.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Loose cables and steering woes - 92 7.4L King Cobra

1. Looks like a continuity wire. The free end goes under the hose clamp on the exhaust bellows.
2. You greased the cable end, but your stiff steering is probably inside the tube it goes through. Disconnect the cable and remove the cable from the tube (PS cylinder) and clean the corrosion out of the tube. Then grease the cable and reassemble.

07caddy

Seaman

Don,
Thanks for the information. Do I have to drain the PS system first or just remove the cable and clean/lube?

Again, thanks!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The cylinder will remain on the boat, you just pull the cable out of the tube and clean things up..
If you do find there is no corrosion in the tube. You can check the cable itself by trying to hold resistance on the cable end by hand to prevent movement to someone turning the wheel. If they can feel the resistance, then the cable is bad.