Shift Upper Gear Housing Removal - 7.4L King Cobra

07caddy

Seaman
I noticed a crack on the shift upper gear housing plastic cover. My assumption is that water does not belong on the other side of the cracked cover and when I loosened the rear bolts of the cover water did come out.

Anyway, I removed several bolts but find myself stuck at the upper two in this picture.

1. Do I need a special wrench to get at those 3/8 bolts, or should I remove something else to facilitate access?

2. Since this part is NLA, is there another way to repair the crack?

I looked in the OEM manual, Section 11, upper gear housing, and nothing jumps off the page on what to do here.

Attachments

• Port Side Cover Crack.jpg
    Port Side Cover Crack.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Port Side Cover.jpg
    Port Side Cover.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Port Side Shift Housing Removal - 7.4L King

The lower bolt is the only one that should be there. The other two behind the studs are a homemade setup for some reason. Pull the drive off a bit so you can get to the bolts and get the cover off.

07caddy

Seaman

Thanks.

I'll read up on how to pull the drive off. The Shift - Upper Gear Housing is NLA so I'll have to repair the crack and replace the seal...provided I can get the dang housing off. Those 3/8 bolts are on both sides of the housing.

07caddy

Seaman
Shift Upper Gear Housing Removal - 7.4L King Cobra

Loosened the bolts on the drive enough to get to the other bolts then removed the Shift Housing and there was quite a bit of sand and misc crap in there.

Now the search is on for a new foam seal because the existing seal looks like it failed and allowed water and sand in. Crossing my fingers someone has a seal at a reasonable price :rolleyes:

Attachments

• shift linkage.jpg
    shift linkage.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 0