OMC Cobra 3.0 Rough Running & Floods easily.. #1 Cyl spark plug is dry HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrix83

Cadet
OMC Cobra 3.0 Rough Running & Floods easily.. #1 Cyl spark plug is dry
I have a 1989 OMC 4 cyl 3.0 Cobra engine in my 1989 Chaparral 17' 178XL. I can sometimes get it started but it runs rough and doesn't want to stay running (even when I give it more on the throttle) It seems to flood pretty easily also. I have installed new COIL, DISTRIBUTOR, SPARK PLUGS, COIL WIRE, CONDENSOR, POINTS, & FUEL FILTER. When I check the plugs 2,3,4 seem to be wet after flooding and appear to be dark burnt color after running, but the #1 spark plug remains bone dry all the time. I am at a loss and was told this site could be a big help with so many knowledgeable people on here. Please help me get this figured out. It's 95 degrees here and humid and I just want to get the new toy in the water. Thank you in advance! ~Joe

jrix83

Cadet
Re: OMC Cobra 3.0 Rough Running & Floods easily.. #1 Cyl spark plug is dry HELP

UPDATE: I did get it started using starting fluid and it sounds decent, but it will not stay running. Gas shoots into the carb just fine when I give it a go onthe throttle (while not running) but I'm not sure it is continuing to get gas to the carb while running as it seems to just burn of the starting fluid and then die (dies as if it is running out of gas).... Vaccum? Fuel Pump? What could this be? And if it is the Vaccum how do I check/fix it? Thank you in advance. ~Joe

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First, throw out the starting fluid. Second, you may need a carb rebuild. Not a big deal on those Rochestor 2 bbls as long as u get the float adjusted correctly.

jrix83

Cadet

THank you. Do you know a company that I could order one of those from?

jrix83

Cadet

I just ordered one. I hope it works! Thank you

southkogs

Staff member
OP hasn't been back since 2011. Puttin' this one back to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.