5.0L OMC w/Cobra Outdrive Seized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljsweeney

Seaman
I think I know the answer to this one already, but I thought I'd throw this out to see if any experienced folks can add their .02.

I have an '88 Ebbtide with a 5.0L OMC (GM?) engine and a Cobra outdrive unit.

I changed the lower unit gear oil on Saturday, and launched the boat for the first time this year on Sunday. She was running well until I felt a loss of power after about 15 minutes of run time, like the prop was fouled, and then the engine suddenly died. After a few minutes of trying to start her back up, I was successful. After less than 100' of travel, the engine died again. This time, I cannot restart her. The engine will not even turn over - like it is seized. Also, when attempting to start the engine, the lower unit pulls to one side and the steering wheel spins slightly.

After doing a little research, I'm guessing that I made an expensive rookie mistake when adding the lower unit lube. I filled it from the bottom hole until lube came out of the top hole (I received the instructions from the previous owner), replaced the top screw, gave it a couple more pumps of lube, pulled the fill tube and then replaced the lower screw. I'm guessing that I had an air bubble form when refilling the lower unit, and that not nearly enough lube was added.

My questions are: How bad is this? I'm guessing I need to have the lower unit rebuilt/replaced - does that sound right? Do you think that any engine damage could have occurred?

Thanks in advance.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 5.0L OMC w/Cobra Outdrive Seized?

Sounds like you did it the mercruiser way. Probably cooked only the upper. The entire drive will need taken apart to determine what is all broken.

ljsweeney

Seaman
Re: 5.0L OMC w/Cobra Outdrive Seized?

Sounds like you did it the mercruiser way. Probably cooked only the upper. The entire drive will need taken apart to determine what is all broken.

Thanks for the reply.

That's what I was guessing - the upper unit is junk. I guess I need to get her out of the water and start wrenching.

larrythorson

Cadet
how did it work when you filled it the other way???? i am literally in the same boat but a guy from MI has done 2 rebuilds on the same drive and fills them from the bottom and first one cooked at 2 1/2 to 3 and the other cooked after a 1/2 hour and never was pushed much more than 1/4 throttle on a 86 19' Celebrity with a 305 GM and Cobra

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This thread is inactive and the OP has been MIA for over two years, so he won't be telling you how it worked. Look at the Help Tip on top of the page for a full explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.