1988 cobra outdrive installation hangup

evilwind1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi again to all ! I have a 1988 bayliner Trophy with the Cobra outdrive off for the last 3 years. The boat was professionally winterized and started right up and ran perfect, I shut it right back down.
A buddy and I attempted putting back the outdrive (shift in fwd position) and following the recommended procedues ,lube etc. We didn't however use the gimbal alignment tool because it seemed that the u-joint /shaft lined up and it all mostly went in. when it got to the point of the bellows it resisted so much no matter how we turned the u joint or tried to tap all around it would not go past the beginning of the bellows. The rubber seems that it was dry and some burred areas so I tried to sand all around the opening, heated it up wwith strong heat lamps , more soapy lube and still no luck. The bellows ,otherwise ,look to be in good shape and I know that the boat had been marina maintained from new. The guy who was helping me has a bit of experience installing outdrives and said he never had to use alignment tool before and the only thing he thinks is preventing the installation is the rubber on the bellows being to hard or not pliable enough for the u joint shaft to go in. Is there a big hose clamp that needs to be loosened there? Or should the thing slide in with just some elbow grease?. Once we get it in far enough I can get some nuts on the studs and evenly bring it in together. It just seems like it shoudln't be this difficult since some guys take theirs off and put it back on every year or 2.
I'm definitely going to use a hoist or dolly this time so that will make things easier. I just can't see beating the back of the outdrive too much before something cracks. If it does get to be out of my scope of ability a I'll bring it to the marine mechanic that knows the boat from day one, he's fair and will do the right job. For now I'm trying to save some money by doing it myself if I can. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bill, Miller Place L.I.

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1988 cobra outdrive installation hangup

I would spend the $35 on ebay and get the alignment tool. Even if you can get it back on the drive could still be misaligned and it will cause you major problems later on.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

He never used a alignment tool cause why??? Lord help us:rolleyes:

Buy the alignment tool.. It's cheap..You already have the outdrive off.. Why not replace the bellows and stuff now?
Once the you have correct alignment.. It will be shocking how easy the outdrive will go on.. There should be no beating or prying..Beating will bust that plastic cover quick..
Now since your outdrive has been off for a good while(likely cause of alignment:eek:).. The coupler may be a little rusty in there IDK..

I can remove the outdrive in 15min and install it in about 10.. So yeah its easy to do.. This is without a outdrive dolley, hoist or a buddy.. Wish I had any of the 3 cause the dang thing is heavy and I am not a spring chicken anymore.. I use the trailer jack to get it kinda where I want it and slide the outdrive on a piece of wood..

Your buddy who has experience.. Should know that the COBRA doesn't have to be shifted into forward.. That's a mercruiser procedure...

Here is a video of correct alignment.... I am telling you it makes a difference.. http://youtu.be/MYwnK8mjHdw

Thread where everyone is stating the fact of proper alignment needed and how to do it...
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2971085#post2971085

Good luck

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Your buddy who has experience.. Should know that the COBRA doesn't have to be shifted into forward.. That's a mercruiser procedure...

It's not that the Cobra doesn't have to be shifted into forward; it SHOULDN'T be shifted into forward. The proper procedure for a Cobra is to install the drive while it is in neutral.

I agree with the previous commenters that it's well worth it to ensure the motor alignment is correct by using the alignment tool. Do you want to end up replacing a $3000 drive for lack of a $35 tool?

lynnboy021

Chief Petty Officer

where do you get the tool?

ssn756

Seaman

Buy the alignment tool.. It's cheap..You already have the outdrive off.. Why not replace the bellows and stuff now?
Once the you have correct alignment.. It will be shocking how easy the outdrive will go on.. There should be no beating or prying..Beating will bust that plastic cover quick..
Here is a video of correct alignment.... I am telling you it makes a difference.. http://youtu.be/MYwnK8mjHdw

Thread where everyone is stating the fact of proper alignment needed and how to do it...
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2971085#post2971085

Good luck

Just bought one. Thanks for the advice.

lynnboy021

Chief Petty Officer

ssn756 something is wrong with your motor its shaking really bad lol

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just re-installed my 93 cobra today after replacing the drive-bellows and seals. My alignment was off, the E-bay alignment tool was worth the money. My leg slid on with no problems., although my 50-year old back hurts like a muther tonight............

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

ssn756 something is wrong with your motor its shaking really bad lol

Nah I just think it has a lot of cam and bad motor mounts...

If you can get your alignment tool to go in like butter.. That outdrive should install like butter.. Who wants to fight that heavy thing??

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

The original style bellows were a bit smaller than the newer ones, I'd consider replacing the bellows with a new OE one, which are bigger inside. Also look in side the coupler with a flashlight and see if there is a lot of caked on grease in there, if so clean it out of the spline area.

YOu need the alignment toolcobra.jpgcobra 2.jpgcobra.jpgcobra 2.jpg, because the gimble bearing itself can 'gimble' slightly and if its off, the driveshaft will never go into the coupler, you will be fighting it. I built a stand to save my back, usually if I use the tool and get the gimble bearing set right, if I can get the ujoints and driveshaft straight, it will go right on, but even doing this, I have had to fight it a few times. Be sure to coat the gasket on both sides with OMC gasket sealer too...

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice cart Lou. I used a 4-wheeled furniture dolly. Getting the bow low enough was my problem.