omc cobra bellows

grizz1148

Cadet
just noticed the rubber accordian looking hose on the outdrive is cracked and ripped, looks as though I can replace it fairly easily without removing anything, is this true? there are 2 of these 1 upper and 1 lower the upper looks ok the lower is bad, question is when ordering the part what is the exact name of the lower one? also, there is a hose clamp on the stern side of this and nothing on the other end, is this the way it is supposed to be? thanks for any help. 5.0 omc cobra drive

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: omc cobra bellows

No the outdrive needs removed and bellhousing (the part the drive bolts to) must be unbolted and pulled back. The lower one is the exhaust bellows. And yes, thats the way its supposed to be, as both bellows are retained internally in the bellhousing, hose clamps only on forward end.

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer

Post all your model and serial numbers on your drive, and somebody will get you a link to your manuals. It shows you just how easy it is to change pull the drive and change your bellows.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

just noticed the rubber accordian looking hose on the outdrive is cracked and ripped, looks as though I can replace it fairly easily without removing anything, is this true? there are 2 of these 1 upper and 1 lower the upper looks ok the lower is bad, question is when ordering the part what is the exact name of the lower one? also, there is a hose clamp on the stern side of this and nothing on the other end, is this the way it is supposed to be? thanks for any help. 5.0 omc cobra drive

Howdy,

My previous High Tech 460 King Cobra ran with NO exhaust bellows for about 15 years or so with no adverse affects.

The new ones are now "slitted" and you mount the slits at the 6 o-clock position so they drain well.

The important one is the "upper" bellows. (the big one) If it's bad, it allows water where it shouldn't go.

You'll see if it was "bad" when you get the drive off.

Regards,

Rick

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No the outdrive needs removed and bellhousing (the part the drive bolts to) must be unbolted and pulled back. The lower one is the exhaust bellows. And yes, thats the way its supposed to be, as both bellows are retained internally in the bellhousing, hose clamps only on forward end.

The lower unit of the outdrive does need to be removed.
The bellhousing is the part is bolted to the back of the engine block and does not need to be touched for this procedure.
The lower unit is bolted to the pivot housing. The pivot housing does not need to be unbolted, loosened or removed. I've changed both the driveshaft/u-joint bellows and exhaust bellows without removing the pivot housing on my OMC Cobra drive; in fact that's what is shown in the factory service manual.