OMC Stern Drive Upper Gearcase Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I was wondering if anyone would know how do I figure out what sterndrive I have? So when I order the parts for it I can get it right.

The title says 150hp and the Sterndrive cover says OMC but not 400 or 800 the serial number is J287851 the model number unfortunatly is not readable. This serial number is on a plate on the upper gearcase housing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also when you hook up the test muffs on this unit are you supposed to connect them to the sterndrive or the engine itself? also is the sterndrive supposed to be in horizontal or verticle postition?

Any or all answers are appreciated.

superbenk

Commander
Re: OMC Stern Drive Upper Gearcase Question

How about some pics?

If I remember correctly from what I've read, the earlier Sterndrives (pre-1977 maybe? Electric shifts?) were designated by the engine HP, not 400/800. I'm not sure when exactly that switch occurred. For what it's worth, here's my 1980 400 Sterndrive:

IMG_4990.JPG

How about some pics?

If I remember correctly from what I've read, the earlier Sterndrives (pre-1977 maybe? Electric shifts?) were designated by the engine HP, not 400/800. I'm not sure when exactly that switch occurred. For what it's worth, here's my 1980 400 Sterndrive:

IMG_4990.JPG

Yeah getting it second or third or fifteenth hand prolly doesnt help either.
Who knows who did what and where and how along the yrs. My boat is a 1982 Galaxie with a OMC 4 cyl motor and a OMC outdrive the title slip of the boat says 150 hp . As for pics I have the sterndrive off and the upper gear case is off the housing. I am finishing a job I inherited. (Replacing the water pump driveshaft and putting it all back together) I guess previous owner lost interest or maybe a more sinister problem is in my future and I got got. Either way I am to finish this job before I find out more.

Upper has new barings and new water pump impeller,plate,etc and new gasket set. All I have to do is wait for my part off ebay and I will find out if anything else is bad after a test. PPL on this forum have said a few different ways to hook up the muffs. I wish I knew how to hook them up the right way when I am ready this weekend.

Thanks for the reply. I will send pics. As far as I know yours and mine look similar except I may only have 1 holder bracket on each end (yours has two) the sterndrive mounts to the boat. It says OMC on the top of it. Maybe I can take a few pics today

superbenk

Commander

PPL on this forum have said a few different ways to hook up the muffs. I wish I knew how to hook them up the right way when I am ready this weekend.

This is how you hook up muffs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS7b9aTGe0M

They should just slide over the intake holes just below where the upper & lower gear cases meet.

Thanks for the reply. I will send pics. As far as I know yours and mine look similar except I may only have 1 holder bracket on each end (yours has two) the sterndrive mounts to the boat. It says OMC on the top of it. Maybe I can take a few pics today

Not sure what you mean by "1 holder bracket on each end...". If you have a 1982, it should be a Stringer 400 like mine. I'm not sure when the switch from hydro-mechanical shift to full mechanical was, but I think you're close to it (1982/1983 I think). Mine is a hydro-mechanical.

This is how you hook up muffs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS7b9aTGe0M

They should just slide over the intake holes just below where the upper & lower gear cases meet.

Not sure what you mean by "1 holder bracket on each end...". If you have a 1982, it should be a Stringer 400 like mine. I'm not sure when the switch from hydro-mechanical shift to full mechanical was, but I think you're close to it (1982/1983 I think). Mine is a hydro-mechanical.

Yeah good question is there a way I can find that out? I have two wires coming out of the sterndrive. Ill get those pics and check back. You seem to know alot about these as well as your boat looks great.

superbenk

Commander

Thanks!

Are the wires coming out of the out-drive or are they attached to the shift converter box? This is the shift converter box:

main.php

If that's where the wires are connected, then it's a full mechanical shift drive (mine doesn't have them since it's hydro-mechanical). If the wires are going into the outdrive itself, then it's probably an older electric shift someone threw on there in place of the original drive.

Looking forward to the pics.

Thanks!

Are the wires coming out of the out-drive or are they attached to the shift converter box? This is the shift converter box:

main.php

If that's where the wires are connected, then it's a full mechanical shift drive (mine doesn't have them since it's hydro-mechanical). If the wires are going into the outdrive itself, then it's probably an older electric shift someone threw on there in place of the original drive.

Looking forward to the pics.

Yeah thats the final issue I have to figure out. How to put those two wires back on that thing. The plate and screws are in there. I am one of those if I took it appart I would have stuff marked and put it back together. This guy has all his screws and bolts in a cooler. I have to figure out what went where and how LOL.. I have a Shop Maual for this OMC stern drive shop manual so I guess it shall not be too bad once I get it going but still at least I know I was doing it right if I did it the first time. Now I think I may find out I did something wrong and have to do it all over again..

Thanks for the reply. Pics will be up shortly. But remember it is in pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.