"Do not pull this plug"

Aintjudge

Seaman Apprentice
And I did... It's the one one the port side of a Cobra 5.0 in a '94 Four Winns 194 Candia, now I'm wanting to know what I have to do to correct this problem, and how many parts may have fallen into the inside of the housing, that I need to retreive.

Attachments

• Outdriveplug.jpg
    Outdriveplug.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: "Do not pull this plug"

There is an odd shaped plate inside the water passage, I am guess it's to prevent excess errosion on the side of the drive for the water passage. You will have to remove the drive, and turn it upside down and sideways and get the plate lined back up and put the screw back in. with some red loctite so it doesn't come back out.

PS, you also have a 93 outdrive and engine. 93 was the last year for that type Cobra. In 94 the drive changed to the SX/Cobra. (Cone clutch by Volvo).

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

You've got to remove the drive and fish out the retainer plate that the screw threads into and then tighten it up...but first...replace the top cover and gasket so no dirt winds up in side your drive! When you pull the drive you can lube the gimble bearing...ujoints..driveshaft splines...and check the bellows for cracks/leaks/water....I'd also clean out the area behind the bellcrank and pack that area with triple guard grease. When you re-install the drive...first check the alignment with the tool and use a new gasket coated on both sides with OMC gasket sealer. See this link for instructions on the R+R...

http://support.crowleymarine.com/entries/114108-omc-cobra-complete-outdrive-installation

http://support.crowleymarine.com/entries/113074-omc-cobra-complete-outdrive-removal

to this I'll add:

http://support.crowleymarine.com/entries/113068-omc-cobra-outdrive-lubricant-filling

because many do it yourselfers who don't have the right manual screw up the filling of the drive and burn up the upper gears....Cobras are easy to maintain...just follow instructions...

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

PS, you also have a 93 outdrive and engine. 93 was the last year for that type Cobra. In 94 the drive changed to the SX/Cobra. (Cone clutch by Volvo).

I don't mean to hyjack a thread here but...... I know someone who has a boat with the SX/Cobra outdrive... This drive is also a OMC right? Does volvo make a cone clutch...what is that?

7-c's

Cadet

if, by chance, your '94 is the sx/cobra like my 95, 5.0, then just try putting the screw back in and tightening it- if you can tighten it- problem over? NEVER MIND- just caught your picture of the drive- wish i would have looked at that first!

Aintjudge

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you, everyone for the valuable info, I'll let ya know how much fun I had when it's reinstalled....lol..

barrydst

Recruit

Does anyone have part numbers for the seal, screw, and strong-back (retainer plate), for a 1989 OMC Cobra out-drive
model 985680. this is the same part mentioned in this thread. It is not shown in any drawings I can find.

Thanks

You've got to remove the drive and fish out the retainer plate that the screw threads into and then tighten it up...but first...replace the top cover and gasket so no dirt winds up in side your drive! When you pull the drive you can lube the gimble bearing...ujoints..driveshaft splines...and check the bellows for cracks/leaks/water....I'd also clean out the area behind the bellcrank and pack that area with triple guard grease. When you re-install the drive...first check the alignment with the tool and use a new gasket coated on both sides with OMC gasket sealer. See this link for instructions on the R+R...

http://support.crowleymarine.com/entries/114108-omc-cobra-complete-outdrive-installation

http://support.crowleymarine.com/entries/113074-omc-cobra-complete-outdrive-removal

to this I'll add:

http://support.crowleymarine.com/entries/113068-omc-cobra-outdrive-lubricant-filling

because many do it yourselfers who don't have the right manual screw up the filling of the drive and burn up the upper gears....Cobras are easy to maintain...just follow instructions...

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is a 2 year old thread in the Merc section.

Should open a new one in the OMC section.:D

Mark

carlasdaddy

Cadet
I have the same problem with a model 985267 Cobra stern drive upper unit. I bought the boat as a "project boat. The previous owner removed the plug and the inner part got caught up in water impeller. Did you ever find the part numbers for the assembly (plug, seal, and retainer plate) as I need a new retainer plate and the seal.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have the same problem with a model 985267 Cobra stern drive upper unit. I bought the boat as a "project boat. The previous owner removed the plug and the inner part got caught up in water impeller. Did you ever find the part numbers for the assembly (plug, seal, and retainer plate) as I need a new retainer plate and the seal.

Please start a new topic with your question. This one is over 4 years old and the poster is long gone. Thanks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The parts your looking for are not on any parts diagram.
The manufacturer figured no one would ever remove the silly little decal over that hole.
Wrong!!!
Re post and ask for suggestions.
Thousands have removed the screw and lost the inside piece.
You might get lucky and it's still in there??
I made up a coat hanger thingy that held the piece and I could pull the drive out a couple of inches and put it back without a lot of BS.
Or just remove the drive.