Cold starting a OMC Cobra engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomi840

Cadet
I recently bought my first boat and was given a hand written note from the previous owner on how to start the boat. Unfortunately I did not speak to the previous owner as I bought the boat from the dealer and the dealer had given me all the previous paperwork for the boat.

I hope someone here can help explain the bullet items in more detail.

Note that the boat came with an OMC 4.3L Cobra engine and a Morse Marine Products side mount control (Model # MNS-S & MNS-D) <at least thats the manual I was given with the boat> this particular control is available in pdf form on http://www.teleflexmarine.com/library/A4pics/IS-SM MN Controls.pdf

So the note to start the engine when cold states :

A. On Trailer
1. Plug boat hole
2. Disconnect Trailer lights
B. At Dock
1. Turn on bilge blower 4 minutes
2. Trim motor down
With Key off
3. Prime Gas
if cold Neutral D position
(4 times) full throttle H position
4. With control handle in H position
* Disengaged full throttle

Turn key to START

5. Release key to ON position
6. Return Control handle to neutral engaged
then forward or reverse to go.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Cold starting a OMC Cobra engine

Ayuh,... It's a Carbed motor,... He's just telling you to set the choke with the throttle...

nomi840

Cadet

Ayuh,... It's a Carbed motor,... He's just telling you to set the choke with the throttle...

Bond-O,

Thanks for the reply. I realized that the method was setting the choke but I didnt understand entirely how with just the little words in item # 3.

Where on the handle is Neutral D position or Full throttle H position. And what does (4 times) full throttle H position mean?

I thought there was just - neutral when the lever was vertical. Forward drive when the handle was pushed toward the front of the boat and reverse when the handle was pulled back toward the stern. Ofcourse with an increase in RPM, Speed the further you pushed or pulled the handle.

Did you get a chance to look at the PDF link. Its specific to the control on my boat ...I thought that might help answer my question.

fuzzybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

On that controller you have to pull out on the handle then advance it forward. Doing this will give you throttle only. I think the old owner is telling you to put the contoller in throttle only and pump it 4 times then start. That would set the choke and prime the carb. Welcome and good luck.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The handle does three things. Push forward it 1) engages the gears so you go forward. 2) as you continue moving the throttle forward the engine and boat speed increases. Full forward is wide open. 3) Straight up is NEUTRAL and engine is at idle. 4) Pull back on the handle and reverse is engaged. Continue pulling backward and boat speed and engine rpm increase. Now think carefully about this. PRIMING the engine means pumping the throttle (moving it full forward) which squirts gas into the throat of the carb and also sets the choke. But since moving the lever forward also engages the gears, there needs to be a way that the engine throttle can be advanced (and pumped) WITHOUT engaging the gears. This is usually done by pulling outward on the handle. Pulling outward means pulling straight out toward the center of the boat. THEN move the throttle forward.. This pulling out operation DISENGAGES the gears. You now pump the the throttle three or four times and leave the lever advanced about 1/4 of the way forward. DO NOT let it snap back to neutral again. Now start the engine. Adjust the warm up idle for a comfortable idle but not reving like crazy. After a minute or so you can now pull the lever back to neutral upon which it snaps back in. Now you can move the lever forward and back to go forward or back.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Where on the handle is Neutral D position or Full throttle H position. And what does (4 times) full throttle H position mean?

Howdy,

Imagine you're driving an older car with a carburetor.

When it's cold, you usually 'pump' the throttle a few times (to automatically squirt a little gas into the intake) and then hold it open slightly (just above idle) to start. Be ready to pull it back to idle though so you don't over speed the engine.

Be aware that you're doing this in NEUTRAL. I.E, there's a button on the control that allows you to open the throttle WITHOUT placing the drive in gear.

If this is your first boat, and you haven't already, now would be a good time to go to a basic boating class. It's required in your state.....

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/PI-135.pdf

Cheers,

Rick

Also,

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

When the throttle is moved from the neutral position to the full throttle position, the accelerator pump is moved on the carburetor, via the cable linkage. When this happens, gas is squirted into the venturi of the carburetor, priming the engine with gas so the engine will start.

nomi840

Cadet

On that controller you have to pull out on the handle then advance it forward. Doing this will give you throttle only. I think the old owner is telling you to put the contoller in throttle only and pump it 4 times then start. That would set the choke and prime the carb. Welcome and good luck.

Fuzzybob, I owe you a beer !!

nomi840

Cadet

The handle does three things. Push forward it 1) engages the gears so you go forward. 2) as you continue moving the throttle forward the engine and boat speed increases. Full forward is wide open. 3) Straight up is NEUTRAL and engine is at idle. 4) Pull back on the handle and reverse is engaged. Continue pulling backward and boat speed and engine rpm increase. Now think carefully about this. PRIMING the engine means pumping the throttle (moving it full forward) which squirts gas into the throat of the carb and also sets the choke. But since moving the lever forward also engages the gears, there needs to be a way that the engine throttle can be advanced (and pumped) WITHOUT engaging the gears. This is usually done by pulling outward on the handle. Pulling outward means pulling straight out toward the center of the boat. THEN move the throttle forward.. This pulling out operation DISENGAGES the gears. You now pump the the throttle three or four times and leave the lever advanced about 1/4 of the way forward. DO NOT let it snap back to neutral again. Now start the engine. Adjust the warm up idle for a comfortable idle but not reving like crazy. After a minute or so you can now pull the lever back to neutral upon which it snaps back in. Now you can move the lever forward and back to go forward or back.

Silvertip, thanks for the detailed explanation. This is exactly what I was look for. I owe you a six pack !!

BlueDart

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Silver tip has provided a great explanation on starting a cold engine for those of us are looking forward to that first go but very anxious about it just the same.
Thank you!!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Back to sleep. :closed_2:: Please look at the Help Tip on top of the page. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.