identifying omc sterndrive

leroy252

Recruit
Hello I am fairly new to inboard's. I need help identifying my stern drive I have a 1988 sunbird corsair 176 with a ford 351. The plate on the side of the drive says model number 987124 and serial t074431. If you know what year and is it a cobra? I am not to sure of what it is except that it is omc. any info would be great I need to fix my tilt. The hydrolic pistons leak and I want to rebiuld them. Thanks Lee
FILE0072.jpg

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: identifying omc sterndrive

Welcome to Iboats!
Early model Cobra...They started using them in 1986..

First thing you need is a factory service manual to keep it serviced correctly..

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

If the boat is a 88 model then the drive is a 87 or 88..(if original)
Not really any difference between the two as far as parts or the service manual goes.
In the service manual it will show how to tell by the numbers off the drive what year and gear ratio..
Some of the guys here may be able to look it up for you.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lee I just did a rebuild on both of mine and documented it. Unfortunately iboats moderators don't sticky anything other than their own material so it's lost in the archives.

Luckily I'd already posted it to my site, so check the link in my signature below for a walk through.

And remove that whale tale. Useless and hard on things. Get trim-tabs if you have planing issues.

leroy252

Recruit

It is not the original. the boat first came with a 4cyl. The owner at the time swapped out that for a 8cyl with a larger stern drive. So it could be a newer model.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It doesn't matter. All the trim cylinders are the same for Cobra drives.