93 omc 7.4l king cobra impeller replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdc8877

Cadet
? if anyone knows how difficult it is to replace the impeller on the Cobras. I have a 93 Chris Craft Concept Cruiser 268. I think the impeller went tits up. The engine got hot but I think I saved it. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated? thanks

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 93 omc 7.4l king cobra impeller replace?

Howdy,

Actually not all that hard to replace. you'll need the repair kit (#13 below)

Go to Doug Russell, or other OMC parts supplier and you can get the kit.

It would be a pretty good idea to get an OEM service manual too.

Regards,

Rick

ACF1D94.gif

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Easy job, just make sure that you use the OMC (Evinrude/Johnson) gasket sealer to seal the gaskets parts #s 14 and 18 and make sure # 18 fits in the groove in the housing the right way, they can pop out when you are trying to get it all together. The sealer can help keep it in there.

sdc8877

Cadet

thanks alot for the help. where did you get the schematic that you posted. That would be very useful.

citysurfer

Recruit

Hi Guys,

I have a 1994 chirs Craft Crowne 282 with a new BB Chevy engine and a rebuilt OMC King Cobra cone-clutch outdrive.

New to boating and haven't had the boat out all that much this summer. Last week I took the boat out after about 2-3 weeks of sitting there and it immediately started to overheat and was also very sluggish in the water. I took it back to the slip. There is no thermostat so I finally realized it was probably all the barnacles which grew on the outdrive restricting water flow to the impeller. Does this sound right? Any way I can check this with the boat in the water, or do I have to haul it out? I was planning on hauling it anyway to get the outdrive powerwashed, however I might have to tow it since I dont want to overheat again.

Also, it was very sluggish last time and could not get on plane before it overheated. I am afraid that the time before last, there was already restricted water flow due to barnacle growth and I tore through the impeller with out knowing it. Is there anything else I should be looking for to replace if I haul it out? Any tips would be appreciated.

thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Best to start a new thread with your question or it will be lost stuck at the end of someone elses thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.