OMC Power Trim Problem

I'm new. Hope this post ends up in the right place.

I have an 1993 OMC trim like the exploded view on this web page. http://marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page394.html

Stopped working when I put it in storage last winter. I bypassed the trim switch with no result. Battery is fully charged.

"Jumped" the trim switch by tying two wires together. Now I hear a "click" from the relay/circuit breaker each time I touch the power cable to the battery, but nothing else (Circuit Breaker button is not pushed out.)

I removed the relay and put jumper cables from the battery directly to the two heavy wires that were attached to the relay. (I assume these are the wires that go to the trim motor.) Nothing happens.

Am I correct in figuring that the relay is OK and that the motor needs replacement?

If so, can I replace the motor without removing the whole pump from the boat? How? Will hydraulic fluid leak out?

If I decide to tow the boat into the shop, how can I get the prop up? Can I just use a floor jack, or do I need to disconnect a hydraulic line to relieve the pressure?

FYI, This boat was a submarine for about 3 days two years ago, but we dried it out, patched it up and it has been running fine since.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Power Trim Problem

FYI, This boat was a submarine for about 3 days two years ago, but we dried it out, patched it up and it has been running fine since.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

If its a sinker I bet it's got corrosion issues
if you want to take it to the mechanic, why not disconnect the rams from the drive?
use a come along and winch the leg up?
somewhere there must be water that rusted, i bet you dissasemble the motor and water pours out.
Just a guess
Good luck
Rob

havasuboatman

Ensign

If its a sinker I bet it's got corrosion issues
if you want to take it to the mechanic, why not disconnect the rams from the drive?
use a come along and winch the leg up?
somewhere there must be water that rusted, i bet you dissasemble the motor and water pours out.
Just a guess
Good luck
Rob

I agree. Don't be suprised if you start having starter problems and alternator issues as well.

Yes,
I'm sure I'll continue to have corrosion issues, but I'm trying to get a couple more years out of her before she goes into permanent "dry storage".

Have I diagnosed that the motor is the problem?

Can I replace the motor without dealing with hydraulic fluid?

Thanks!
Tom

So I got the trim motor and replaced it today. When I disassembled it, I lost maybe 3/4 of a cup of hydraulic fluid. Trim works, but it seems slow, which I'm assuming is because it needs the fluid topped up. Now I need to know the proper procedure. It looks like there is a plastic cap on the side of the pump with a warning sticker next to it. Do I just open up this cap and pour in some more fluid... or?
Thanks,
Tom