OMC Cobra shift cable replacement

ulster1

Seaman Apprentice
Twin 4.3 OMC with cobra drives
I broke the shift cable which engages reverse and forward between the motor and the out drive on the port motor.
Removed the out drive and discovered the outer sheath right at the brass slider where the shift cable guide slides on was broken.

Unscrewed the brass slider and left the broken cable in place and am hoping that I can use it to pull the new cable through.

I now have the complete assy. on order I hope to replace it next W/e so any advice would be appreciated.
I have all the dimensions required but am concerned as to how?? and if I can feed the new assy through the rubber hose ????

Any advice would be appreciated.

skeat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: OMC Cobra shift cable replacement

There are a lot of critical dimensions that are involved in replacing the cable. The easiest part is feeding it through. Make sure you at least have the manual and set it up correctly otherwise it won't work properly and you might even end up trashing the drive.

a70eliminator

Captain

forget the idea of using the old cable for a guide because there is a seal and retaining ring (nyon tie) at the upper boot, it will not allow you to just pull the cable sheath out, you'll have to get in there behind the engine and remove the seal, do it right.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I really hope you have the factory service manual.Those adjustments must be perfect on both ends of the cable.Follow it to the letter.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Twin 4.3 OMC with cobra drives
I broke the shift cable which engages reverse and forward between the motor and the out drive on the port motor.
Removed the out drive and discovered the outer sheath right at the brass slider where the shift cable guide slides on was broken.

Unscrewed the brass slider and left the broken cable in place and am hoping that I can use it to pull the new cable through.

I now have the complete assy. on order I hope to replace it next W/e so any advice would be appreciated.
I have all the dimensions required but am concerned as to how?? and if I can feed the new assy through the rubber hose ????

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am almost certain that on Cobras the OD needs to be removed to replace the cable. I am however positive that you will not be able to pull the old one through the way you hope to.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I am almost certain that on Cobras the OD needs to be removed to replace the cable. I am however positive that you will not be able to pull the old one through the way you hope to.

YES! The drive must be removed....The ONLY way it will work.
PLEASE get a factory service manual!

2 YEAR OLD THREAD.....I HOPE HE HAS IT FIXED BY NOW!