Leaking water from shifter cable hose OMC Cobra 2.3L 87

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baylinercapri1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My boat is leaking water from the lower shifter cable hose that surrounds the lower shifter cable. It is a steady leak dripping right off the hose into the bilge. What can I do to fix this? Can I replace that hose? Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Leaking water from shifter cable hose OMC Cobra 2.3L 87

It is a steady leak dripping right off the hose into the bilge

Not exactly sure what you mean by that statement, but the end of the hose that the shift cable goes into MUST be well above the water line. I have seen people improperly install them and have the end of that hose below the water line and actually sink boats.
There is not a water tite seal around the shift cable. It just needs to be above water level.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

There should be a small rubber boot that goes over that hose.

Like Don said, it should be well above the waterline but you can get water through it if people are sitting in the back of the boat and you get some waves hitting the stern.

Baylinercapri1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The hose is upright pointing straight up into the air, It is well above the water line and in the right position. The hose is leaking at the end where it connects to the transom, Not through the top where the rubber boot is.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Ok...its probably not the hose that's leaking but the mount where the sleve mounts to the transom. It is possible that it needs to be tightened and/or the o-ring replaced.

Can you actually see it dripping from there? The reason I ask is because the raw water inlet is in the same vicinity as well as the drive shaft to the drive.(If your u-joint boot was leaking)

Baylinercapri1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can see it leaking, but not exactly where its coming from. Its leaking right off the lower part of the hose into the bilge. I would suspect it is either the hose itself leaking, or the place where the hose connects to the transom. I will look around tomarrow at it, but it is hard to see, might have to take the starter out to see it better.

Baylinercapri1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also the drive was recently taken off to replace the lower shifter cable. The u-joints were rust free, and the bellows were good. And the boat has been leaking before the shift cable was done.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You may need a crowfoot to tighten it. Might be worth trying that first.

Baylinercapri1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bruceb58 said:
You may need a crowfoot to tighten it. Might be worth trying that first.

What is a crowfoot? Can I get one at a hardwood store? Is the tube screwed into the transom? How is it connected to the transom? Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It is threaded into the transom. You might be able to get a wrench on it too.

Do you own a manual?

This is a crowfoot:

crft12.jpg

Baylinercapri1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So it sounds like the hose can be changed relitivley easy? I will try and tighten it, Or maybe take it off and seal the threads if I have to. Thanks

Baylinercapri1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do own a manual, but it sucks! Its a Seloc. Cant find any info on the tube. This manual has not helped me much, it did not have anything on changing the lower shift cable out. I need a real "OMC" Manual.

Don S

The hose has probably got a hole in it. May have been pinched during engine install or ______? to cause that. The fitting that screws into the transom shield is stainless steel but the crimp on the hose is steel. Have also seen them rust off and cause the hose to leak.

Baylinercapri1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So is the hose easy to replace?

Baylinercapri1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I checked over the hose with a mechanics mirror and i could not see much at all. All I could see was the pipe going into the transome area, and a few small stress cracks in the hose, I dont think they were big enough to leak. It is very tight in that spot, I would have to try and take the exaust apart to see the hose. Any other trick to go about this? Thanks

Don S

Are you at all sure that hose is what's leaking? There are a LOT of other places for water to come in.
When you was looking with your mirror, was the boat in the water? Almost impossible to find a leak if there is no water.

Baylinercapri1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am just looking at it on the trailer, no water test yet. Thats next on my list. I started taking pictures under the engine and at that hose, got a few that show the transom area. But nothing I see is bad. The water test is what I will do next.

Status
Not open for further replies.