Needed: OMC transom-seal 1966 square type

hcwiii

Cadet
I need a transom seal for a vintage 1966 OMC.

It's the square type, with sharp square corners, not the rounded corners from 1967.

If anyone can refer me to a source, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks for any help...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Needed: OMC transom-seal 1966 square type

Call Steve Ryan at Ryan's Marine in Portland Oregon. Tell him that Gyro GearLoose suggested that you call. If any are available, he will know.

503 282 8807

hcwiii

Cadet

Gyro (or is it Mr. GearLoose?),

Thanks!

I spoke with Steve, and he was pretty hopeful that he should be able to find me one...

However, when I told him you sent me, he said it would cost me double....? Hmmmm. No, just kidding.

Thanks again - I'll let you know how it works out.

Boomyal said:
Call Steve Ryan at Ryan's Marine in Portland Oregon. Tell him that Gyro GearLoose suggested that you call. If any are available, he will know.

503 282 8807

hcwiii

Cadet

Thanks Blk-n.

The oldest type that they show is for the 1967-77 model.

It seems that mine, with sharp corners, wasn't used by many manufacturers, they started using the rounded-corner one in '67.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Blk-n-Blu said:
Hc, take a look here.
http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?
you can do a part name search. hope it helps

DHPMARINE

Captain

381105 seems to be the # for the square corner one.NLA back in 1987.

Just an idea ..... if my part # is right ...... (my computer can't go back past 1968 ........

The square,the round corner and the round transom seals use the same clamp to attatch to the intermediate housing,indicating the I.D. is the same or close.

Both the round corner and round transom seals seem to be bigger than the square one.

Cosmetically it won't be right,but if you can get a seal that
fits the I.D.,

DHPMARINE

Captain

Sorry,seems I ran out of room.

And if the overall size is larger than the transom hole,who cares ?

It will still seal what you need sealed. (yes buy or fabricate a new transom seal plate for the outside.)

DHP

hcwiii

Cadet

Yes, the part# for the full kit is 381105, including the clamp, the plates and the screws. The part# for the seal only is 310975.

Your idea about using the newer rounded-corner seal sounds good, but I've been unable to find the measurements of that seal to know if it would actually cover the existing hole. The existing hole on my transom does have slightly rounded corners, so if the newer seal is a bit larger, it may very well cover the hole ok.

I'll see if I can get a parts dealer to give me the measurements of the newer seal. The older seal that I have now measures about 18.25" high by 17.5" wide.

Thanks for the suggestion.

DHPMARINE said:
Sorry,seems I ran out of room.

And if the overall size is larger than the transom hole,who cares ?

It will still seal what you need sealed. (yes buy or fabricate a new transom seal plate for the outside.)

DHP

hcwiii

Cadet

To update the thread:

Steve was able to get the seal for me, from a supplier in Salt Lake - yet he only charged me $9 shipping - Salt Lake to Portland to Buffalo NY. Prit darn cheap.

Steve was great to deal with - thanks Boomyal, for directing me to him.

Boomyal said:

503 282 8807

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Boomyal does not speak with forked tongue!;)

Glad it worked out hc. Steve is great. Wish all small business people were like him.

It was an original too. Not the junk aftermarket rubber. He showed it to me just before he shipped it out to you. I happened in to borrow his (gulp) black anchor alignment tool.

Still Looking

Recruit
Hi All. This is Still Looking reading your posts. I also have the same square seal, so could you post the Seal # that worked for you ? And the ring ? Many thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Hi All. This is Still Looking reading your posts. I also have the same square seal, so could you post the Seal # that worked for you ? And the ring ? Many thanks.

Ayuh,.... So why are you postin' in a 10 Year Old Thread,..??

Any thread older than 90 Days is Info, not an active thread,....
Please read, 'n follow our postin' rules, 'n guidelines,.....

Thank you,.....