engine suddenly overheating new impellor

gmajorabm

Seaman Apprentice
wassup my fellow boaters! all has been well since my last post. since i am posting now of course there is now a problem! gosh this boating thing is no joke. since the last time i have posted about the shifting in my omc. that is no longer a problem. took the boat out about 6-7 times. tried to take the boat out today with a long time friend i havent seen before in years to have fun. welll that quickly got ruined. the engine started to overheat as i was idling out of the 5 miles zone(thank god u noticed). so i nursed it back to the dock to check if there was anything caught in the inlet for the water cooling. everything was free of debris. i have a new impellor since the last time my boat was in the shop. i even took apart the housing and saw the impellor was perfect and brand new. the engine just wont cool down. i hooked it up to muff and seen water out the peehole but still even on muffs the engine did not cool down right away as it normally does. help me out guys! learning the true meaning of bust out another thousand

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... What motor,..??

What drive,..??

What year,..??

gmajorabm

Seaman Apprentice
oh thats right i cant update my signature for sum reason. but its a
1988 reinell 173
omc 4.3 l cobra

Bondo

Staff member
i even took apart the housing and saw the impellor was perfect and brand new. the engine just wont cool down.

Ayuh,... So Test it,.... Pull the hose from the drive off the t-stat housin', 'n fire it up,....

Is water shootin' outa that hose,..??
If not, go back to the drive, 'n figure out Why,...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
water should flow at a rate fast enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket within 20 seconds with the boat just a tad above idle