Outdrive winter project

Rinker85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I have a 1984 2.5L OMC Sterndrive 252STHRCRA.

​Today I pulled the outdrive and put it in the basement of my house so I can work on it over the winter.

I will be replacing the Impellor, lower gear case seal kit, upper gear case seal kit and ball gear. The other end of the ball gear on the intermediate housing will be replaced in the spring.

​I have all of my part numbers ready to order.

​My questions are: Are there seals that I need to order for the ball gear or is that part of the upper gear case seal kit ?

Any special tools that I need for the ball gear replacement?

​As long as I'm doing all this, is there anything else I should do to the outdrive.

Thank you

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ball gear kit includes all you need for replacing the ball gears only

A seal kit will have seals.

Get a complete waterpump

Inspect the vertical driveshaft splines, replace as needed

Yes, there are OMC special tools, covered in the factory manual

kenny nunez

Captain
In addition to what Scott said I can give you some advice on removing & replacing the ball gears.
After you remove the stainless cover you will need a 1& 1/8th? socket for the nut or a chisel if the nut is rusted away as usual. On the engine side you may be able to hold the shaft with a pry bar to r & r the ball gear nut. If you are in a salt water area the shaft may be rusted away to where the threads are and gone. The nut tightens to around 100# . Having the holding tool is really the way to service the ball gears but you may be able to use a vice .