Help 1988 Supra Sunsport not starting

mmardis

Recruit
Bought the boat in the Spring, worked great all summer. The last day we took it out we had been driving around for awhile. We were moving along and I throttled down quickly and it died and wouldn't start back up. The starter was cranking but wouldn't turn over. The previous owner put a new distributor and Flame Thrower ignition coil. I'm not getting a spark at the plugs. I've tested the ignition coil and shows the proper ohms, it's spraying gas in the carb, battery is good, it's in neutral. I'm learning to be a mechanic as I go. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

what motor are you working on.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
The starter was cranking but wouldn't turn over. What do you mean by that ??

Maclin

Admiral
Hopefully you mean the starter is spinning the engine but it is just not starting. If all you hear is a big clunk and the starter cannot spin the engine then immediately return to the boat and remove all spark plugs and try again, see if water spews out.

If it is spinning, I would check the kill switch under the throttle lever if it has one, also known as a deadman switch. When tripped to Off the coil will not get power, all else works. Again, you may not have one, but if you do this is a common occurrence (tripping the deadman).